TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AZ road racer project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2012 at 4:57pm
Hey Dan -

Anything else to update? 

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2012 at 9:40pm
Just got back from a weeklong vacation but I did make a little headway...

Tackled the front suspension a couple of weeks ago and got the QA1 coilover setup in place.  Still not sure how the 10"/550lbs springs will work with the setup, but the car sits at about the same height as my other Javelin with the WSC coilover setup when that car was motor/tranny-less.  If it doesn't drop down enough and I can't dial it lower with the coilover, I may try the 8" Ford/Mustang II type coilver spring.  Those come in spring rates of about 350lbs all the way up to 700lbs...

EDIT: Ended up going with the 8" springs...the 10" spring was too tall for a lowered road racer.

Scott, I saw those brake brackets G.D. cut for you...that and the strud rod bushing elimination are my current 2 projects (well, once I get done putting the intake back on my blue car).  I like the idea of doing multiple holes for both 13" and 14" rotors.  Since I'm using the narrow body SL6 calipers, I like the idea of the extra meat on the 14" to control heat, but having the option to run the cheaper 12.88" rotors.  I may have to talk to my machinist about doing something like that.   Other than that, I've just been talking some odds and ends for the project.  I picked up my T5 with the Astro A-5 gear set from the builder, started basic shortblock assembly and measurements, ground up the strut rod frame bracket for welding the mounting tabs for the heim joints...oh yeah, and put up the Christmas tree!  Star

Edited by Javelin74 - Apr/20/2014 at 11:47am
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2012 at 12:57am
I guess I'm about due for an update, but find myself caught in the middle of several projects.  I've been spending the last couple of weeks building up the short block once my rod bearings came in.  I got the Wiseco flat top/K1 combo in last weekend and spent some time getting the old Aviad pan bolted up while pulling the heads out from storage that I had on the 360 I blew up 2 years ago.  Those have a 2.05/1.6 chevy valve setup and had a bench port job done years ago.  I'm going to take them in and get them checked out since I'd like to run them on this build. 
My front brake brackets and strut rods are getting machined and hopefully will be done before Santa comes so I can get the chasis back on 4 wheels soon.  Clutch/brake pedals setup should be in this week, too.  In the meantime, I've been struggling with the thought of putting an EFI setup Indy intake on the blue car to match the heads (and help resolve that oil leak that I can't seem to make go away) and then running the EFI Torker and my old Haltech setup on the new racecar project.  I've gotten so spoiled working with EFI that the idea has become more tempting...TBD!?!?
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2013 at 9:47pm
Made a little bit of headway getting the motor together.  Stud girdles are on but since the pushrods didn't make it by this weekend, I'll have to hold off til next week to button the valvetrain up.  Still a 99% chance the EFI Torker ends up on this motor and I go with an EFI converted Indy Intake for the 401 in the blue Jav.
Ported set of 993's with some 2.05/1.6 Manley race flos ready to go.

Not much to report on the progress with the chasis.  The brake brackets are still with the machinist, as are the strut rods but I do have the parts for the front brakes and have started gathering the rear brake parts (12.19 x 1.25 with wilwood FSLI 4 piston (1.38) calipers) as well as a adjustable prop valve and a master cylinder. 

In the meantime, I finally cured the nasty oil leak the blue car had...Hope to make it up to the Scottsdale Pavilions' car show finally next weekend...just in time for the Barret-Jackson weekend!
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2013 at 9:32pm
With all the rain this weekend and a trip from the parents taking some priority, I was still able to make a little bit of headway on the project over the last couple of weeks.
Got the 360 painted and started fitting up brackets, oil lines, etc...

Also picked up my brake brackets from Tim and AZ Machine.  Another very nice product...

Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2013 at 11:47pm
Finally dropped the motor in, started running break lines, dropped the steering column back in, and started checking wheel clearances...still a lot of work to go but I hope to get the T-5 in this weekend and start working my way back to the rearend...

70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2013 at 4:59pm
Lookin great Dan Thumbs UpThumbs Up I don't think I've ever seen a BBOrange Javelin RoadRacer before.  I also like the BBS? wheels on the blue car. Where did you find those? and what are the dimensions/backspace and tire sizes? I've been thinking about a set of BBS with gold centers to match my stripes on my 72 JavAMX. I also see what looks like nice comfortable seats in the blue car. What did they come out of?
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 1:18am
look great! when's the first race? Clap

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2013 at 9:56am
Thanks, fellas. 
The wheels on the Blue Jav are a set of Simmons I had made about 15 yrs ago.  They are 17x9/17x11 with 6.5" front backspace and 5.5" rear back space.  My current tire combo is a set of 255's in the front and 315's in the back.
The deeper front wheel was possible by having a 1" aluminum spacer block installed between the upright and spindle/brake bracket.  I get a little bit a brake knockback from the flex in corners, so I had some floating disks made to help eliminate most (but not all) of that.  The rearend is a Versailles 9" that later got a set of baer brakes.  I think with a fairly stock suspension, you are limited to about 4.5-5" backspacing with most wheels on a 71-74 Javelin w/o using spacers of any sort.  The seats are out of a late 80's Thunderbird.  Had them recovered to match the rears.  They are super comfortable but unfortunately, pretty heavy too.
Asif,
If I'm lucky, I'm hoping to do some shakedowns with the new car before the full heat of summer hits AZ!
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 8:13pm
Looks great love the color.

Have you dropped the car yet to see how the qa1s and springs are?
Why didn't you go with WSC again and just modify the "T" like you did here?
What did the bracket that bent look like?
Also would you say you have more clearance between wheel and spring/coilover with WSC or the QA1?

Sorry for all the questions!
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
  Share Topic