TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No power to ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxx71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No power to ignition
    Posted: May/29/2012 at 2:34pm
Not sure if this is the right place to post this (here or electrical) but I am looking for a wiring diagram for the ignition switch. ('82 Jeep J-10).

I am not receiving any power to the switch, no wipers, radio, heater fan, turn signals etc when key is in run postion (headlights do work).
There was some wiring removed from the vehicle along with the motorcraft ignition module (changed to hei) and the ffb control box (changed from carter to motorcraft 2100). Any help would be much appreciated.
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 2:55pm
Check the Yellow wire off the solenoid. It powers just about everything on the Jeep. You may have to check it all the way back to the firewall. That wire on my Wagoneer burned up and I had to replace about 2 feet of wire. 
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 3:07pm
I'd like to try to clarify and perhaps narrow this down a bit....
Does it have an accessory position - the backward turn of the key to run like radio and such when not running the engine?
If so, does that work?
Maybe it's me - did you mean no power TO the switch, or nothing coming OUT?
If nothing coming out, try the accessory position of the switch - if that year/model has such a thing. They are different contacts, and different wires coming out - might help narrow things down.

Ramblinfsj may have just a little tiny bit of jeep information, having 3 currently, and one of them only a quarter ton from being a match for yours.

I'm going to move this to the electrical since it covers a whole lot more than engine ignition........ might get you more responses, maybe, we hope.
maxx71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxx71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 4:40pm
Yellow wire is fine all the way to the firewall. Accessories run when key is turned back to accessory position. There are 3 wires coming off the back of the fuse block on firewall side that are cut off, 2 are around 16 or 14 gauge (1 is orange the other is brown) the 3rd wire I think is 12 gauge (it is smaller than 10) and is pink.
Thank You for moving it to electrical.
maxx71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxx71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 4:47pm
Forgot to mention, no power coming out when switch in run position. Was testing for 12 volts switched to connect to the HEI but when switch is in run position, I receive no power to the usual places (like the red w/ trace to the original ignition module). I was receiving power fine before the ignition module (motorcraft gray box) and ffb control box was removed.

ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 11:51am
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 10:12pm
Check the ammeter didn't happen to corrode off just at this point in time. (mine did that suddenly in 2 FSJs)
maxx71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxx71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2012 at 6:22am
Thank You ramblin for the diagrams.
carnuck, the Jeep was up and running before the "mechanic" removed the wiring for the ignition box and ffb control box. He said they weren't needed with HEI so he removed them along with the wiring and sensor, so I figured they were related.
Needless to say when he could not get power out of the ignition switch I was a little upset and let him go. 

I will work on it this weekend and let you all know if I fix it and what it was.
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2012 at 7:18am
has it run before  or did you buy it this way  sounds silly check fuses also
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

maxx71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxx71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2012 at 1:56am
Yes it ran before I decided to install the HEI Distro. I removed the Carter carb and the polution stuff last summer and ran the Jeep all summer with no issues. As I stated before, everything worked fine before I hired a guy (because of health issue) to install the HEI and he said he would remove the unneeded wiring and controls (see my previous posts).

Checking the fuses doesn't sound silly at all and was the first thing I checked, they are all good. I also looked for a possible fusible links and burnt wires. Fuse block/ bulkhead looks in good shape so I am thinking he removed a wire he shouldn't have. The diagrams ramblin posted will give me a good start.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic