TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 exhaust manifold broken!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oxide80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 exhaust manifold broken!!!
    Posted: May/25/2012 at 5:41pm

Do any of the exhaust/intake bolts in an AMC SIX pass through any water jackets? Or any thing I should e

Edited by oxide80 - May/29/2012 at 9:47am

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 5:47pm
No.
when you reinstall, go by the book. the factory installed with no gasket between exaust and head, but there is a gasket between intake and head.
When you put it back, you'll have a gasket between exhaust and head, too - so split the intake from the exhaust, replace that gasket between the two, don't tighten those two together, just go finger tight then install them to the head and go from there.
Follow the service manual torque sequence and specs to the letter.
oxide80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oxide80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2012 at 6:33pm
Thanks Bill, Its been a long time since I had one of these apart!.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 5:41am
Here's a link to info from a TSB that talks about the gaskets and how to put it back together so it doesn't leak: http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/loose_intake.shtml

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
oxide80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oxide80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2012 at 1:57pm
I know anything is possible, but how prone are these for breaking manifold bolts off in the head?
oxide80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oxide80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 9:49am
Ok so the #1 exhaust port is completely broken off, what. Years or models will fit? New or used.

Edited by oxide80 - May/29/2012 at 9:49am
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 10:24am
Many years of 199/232/early 258 manifolds will fit.   One caution is that you should make sure the exhaust pipe and the rest of the exhaust system is properly supported so the full weight of the exhaust system is not hanging off of the exhaust manifold.  This can stress it and cause it to crack or break.  The Rambler Americans had a support flange welded onto the exhaust pipe for this purpose.  I'm sure it was a weakness AMC found when the were designing the cars.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 10:54am
I've seen 4.0 exhaust cracked from that stress as well.
My Jav never had such support, never broke a manifold, either, though.

Your breakage is not very likely to be due to the stress of a hanging pipe, however.
Reason I suggest that is that it's the number 1 end broken off - it's not broken in the middle - the pipe weight and load should have never reached that far front end.
Because it's a far front or far rear end  it's probably due to improperly being torqued at some point. Although they can and do break "on their own", it's VERY unlikely, and in each case I've seen it was after some past service. (#1 and #6 are almost always because of heating and cooling stresses - expanding and contracting against the bolts)
If the end bolts are tightened too tight, or the bolts are tightened out of sequence, the natural expansion and contraction of the LONG chunk of cast will cause it to break.
I've seen a lot of 6's of other makes do it as well.

You are lucky that they should be the same for 232 and 258 up through 1980 if I recall correctly.

oxide80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oxide80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 11:38am
Its an old crack, someone had it apart at some point long before I bought the car, there was an exhaust gasket in place, im sure it was just the stress of heatin/cooling and torque. What's the difference on the 80number and new manifolds?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 12:05pm
starting in about 1981 AMC switched to a "divorced" manifold pair. The exhaust was made more sweeping, more like tubes, but still cast, and not connected to the intake.
The intake was changed to aluminum with a ceramic heater under the bottom which ran until the engine temp reached 165 degrees, then the water warmed the intake.

So 81+ was heated by an electric heater, then water, while prior it was the exhaust gases and the heat-riser valve that heated the intake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic