TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Camshafts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC Camshafts
    Posted: May/13/2012 at 8:09pm
I'm going to start looking at camshafts.  Who are the current top suppliers for a street, flat tappet, hydraulic camshaft? 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 8:48pm
custom or off the shelf?
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 8:49pm
OK, I will be the first............
My first choice would be Isky.  You can call them and actually talk to Ron Iskenderian who seems like a level headed guy who won't baffle you with BS.  CompCam is a big name but I have not had a stellar relationship with those guys.  I have had a heck of a time installing Comp cams because of over sized cam journals.  #4 cam bearing is always too tight on a Comp Cam in combination with DUR-A-Bond cam bearings requiring a little sanding with emery cloth to get the two to match up.  I don't know who makes Summit cams but I have had the same issue with those.  I have had no problems with Lunati, Crower, Elgin, or the generic Perfect Circle, Melling etc.   I just had a cam reground at Bullet and am pretty impressed so far with those guys.  Similar to Isky, you call them up, talk with them and they seem to know what they are doing.  I hope that this helps..    
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

I have had a heck of a time installing Comp cams because of over sized cam journals.  #4 cam bearing is always too tight on a Comp Cam in combination with DUR-A-Bond cam bearings requiring a little sanding with emery cloth to get the two to match up.
I ran into this with mine, real tough to turn by hand. Did you sand the bearing or the cam journal? Will it spin the bearing, or just wear in if I leave it? Jim
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 9:51pm
I REALLY didn't like doing either but, I sanded both the journal and a little it on the bearing still installed in the block.  I used lubed up 600 grit on both.   If I can turn the cam with a rag wrapped around the timing gear by hand I let it go.  When I start sticking the piston and rod assemblies in I crank the rotating assembly over like 6-10 times with each piston.  By the time I get all 8 pistons in, the effort it takes to turn the assembly over seems OK.  I haven't had a cam bearing spin yet under these conditions.  
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 11:07pm
So far I have not had that experience with Comp Cams but have only use their cams a handful of times on nearly 50 engines. Split Cams seem to work really well in AMCs and comp only has a couple of split profiles for our engines. Plus they are mass production and I prefer to use the guys who grind their own for a custom build. If on a budget build then it is Summit brand cams for the best bang for the buck compared to all other options.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 4:34am
Reed Cams from American Performance Products in Fla.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 5:29am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

custom or off the shelf?

Off the shelf, I'm not smart enough for anything custom.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 11:05am
Lunati, Isky and Elgin have some real nice off the shelf AMC cams very similar to the group 19 cam. I've used the Elgin 910PK (K stands for "Kit" with both cam and lifters)many times and it is a very nice cam for a mildly built AMC.

Crower can also work with you and design a custom grind for you engine simply by your telling them what bore, stroke, compression and head flow you will have on the engine and what your desired characteristics of the cam are. I am sure Lunati and Isky will do the same.

If you offer up your specs and intended use, I am sure a couple of us can give you a variety of good recommendations.

Edited by amx39068 - May/14/2012 at 11:06am
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 11:57am
Thanks Dan,

I have to wade through the static vs dynamic compression ratio discussion first.  I'm trying to get an engine with as much bang for the buck as possible on 87 octane gas.  In ND it's 75-100 miles to anywhere and gas is not going to get cheaper.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic