TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

full 1/4 panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocco74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: full 1/4 panel
    Posted: May/10/2012 at 10:45pm
need to replace passenger side 1/4 on my 68 amx have been looking for one for a couple of months any help 
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 6:51am
Full quarters are not reproduced, only patch panels are.

-Steve-
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 10:01am
   I still can't believe that AMX rear quarters/or front fenders and doors, arent being repro'd. Everyone always says.."well they only rust on the bottom rear"...ahh sorry charlie, not true. They also rust around the fender flare and at the section behind the emblem. And it isnt even a question of where they rust...they get dented too.
If a repro 1/4 panel was made all that could be eliminated in one repair....I am sure all it would take is a lobby of one of the larger companies supplying repro sheet metal (and in some cases entire bodies!!)to start to have these stamped out.
Call around and they will eventually be able to tell you how many would have to be ordered to be produced, then we can start flooding them with emails, just like we did when we got edelbrock to make new intakes and fuel injection systems for AMC engines that had been out of production for 20 years LOL!

Patch panels are nice, but they only solve a problem with one area of the panel...usually there will be other areas that the patch panel wont address.

Edited by 348AMX - May/11/2012 at 10:06am
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 10:33am
Chrysler bought AMC and then literally burried and scrapped much of the old AMC molds. No molds, no panels. Making up a new mold and starting production is painfully expensive and given Rambler mentality of never wanting to pay a fair price for a NOS part, it is highly doubtful that the investment to repop the molds would ever be recovered. And of coure you need a perfect quality panel to make the mold from and I am sure none of us who own rust free AMXs and Javelins want to have them hacked into pieces in order to have a panel to make the mold from.

Edited by amx39068 - May/11/2012 at 10:34am
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 3:39pm
^^^so your saying no one has ever offered to donate a single quarter panel, fender, and door to one of the several companies that are out and flourishing making repro parts for a lot of Muscle cars???? That sounds ridiculous, umm the parts arent made of gold, there are spares out there that one of these companies could look at to see what would be involved in reproducing them.

I HIGHLY doubt that the lack of original molds would even be an issue...this is 2012 not 1975...technology has progressed just a little.

Not trying to be a wiseguy but it just annoys me that everyone complains about the lack of parts and skyrocketing cost of original parts, and how the cars are way too expensive to repair correctly....wich I am sure has contributed to the slower growth of investors getting into AMX/Javelin's, .....and then when a topic of how to do something that would help the value and interest in the cars comes up the topic goes in circles.

...and if the Molds are "buried" somewhere as you have implied...hasnt anyone ever thought of finding out where and digging them up???

The OP is proof that there is a market for the parts to be repro'd...and there are probably MANY MANY more people that would buy them.

Edited by 348AMX - May/11/2012 at 3:44pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 3:47pm
It's all economics.  There were less than 20,000 68-70 AMXs ever built, probably less than half remain.  Even if the owner of every remaining AMX bought a repop right quarter, that's less than 10,000 sold.  That's a pretty small run to recoup the cost of recreating the dies to stamp it.

Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs, and such were made by the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.  In a lot of cases, the stamping dies still existed.   Much more of a market for those parts.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - May/11/2012 at 3:48pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 3:48pm
to the OP....here is a link to a quarter panel...its bigger than the lower quarter patches and would pretty much cover all the problem areas in the OE rusted out rear quarters. I have no clue about how close to the originals these are or how well they fit...but it looks like its the best we have right now.

copy and paste
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-AMX-Quarter-Panel-Left-68-69-70-1968-1969-1970-/370488563717?hash=item5642d6d805&item=370488563717&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Edited by 348AMX - May/11/2012 at 3:54pm
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

It's all economics.  There were less than 20,000 68-70 AMXs ever built, probably less than half remain.  Even if the owner of every remaining AMX bought a repop right quarter, that's less than 10,000 sold.  That's a pretty small run to recoup the cost of recreating the dies to stamp it.

Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs, and such were made by the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.  In a lot of cases, the stamping dies still existed.   Much more of a market for those parts.

Bob
tufcj

how do we in fact know that "it's a pretty small run" to recoupe the cost of reproducing them??? Do you have actual figures?? I would think even 3,000- 5,000 quarters would be an inticement for order.
The doors and fenders and hoods are the same as javelins...so we are talking a LOT more potential.
And you pretty much summed up my point about cost to those companies making THOUSANDS of body parts for other muscle cars....do you really think that they are going to LOOSE if they are selling all those other parts. They must be making big profits..enough that supplying smaller markets with similar parts WOULD be economically feasible.

I could see your point if this was 1980 when there werent many companies making repro parts and it was a much younger industry...but not 2012 where you can but entire body's of 60's muscle cars brand new....computers have changed EVERYTHING. The real reason the parts arent being made is because too many people complaining....not people actually trying to do something about it.

Edited by 348AMX - May/11/2012 at 10:52pm
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

to the OP....here is a link to a quarter panel...its bigger than the lower quarter patches and would pretty much cover all the problem areas in the OE rusted out rear quarters.

copy and paste
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-AMX-Quarter-Panel-Left-68-69-70-1968-1969-1970-/370488563717?hash=item5642d6d805&item=370488563717&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The prior owner of my AMX supplied one of those with the car when I bought it.  There's no lip at the front where the factory quarter is welded to the door jamb.  There's also no tab to hold the rear valance panel.  The draw marks from forming were also very noticeable.  My body guy said it would take longer to install the panel and do the work to make it smooth than it would take to make and install smaller patch panels.  I took the route of the smaller, hand made panels.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic