TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Started my 8.8 Swap- 71 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71JAVVY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Started my 8.8 Swap- 71 Javelin
    Posted: May/07/2012 at 12:43am
Haven't been on for a while. Tough to work in the winter months without a heated shop :P

Anyways I got the perches welded  on the Ford 8.8 (posi, 3.73s, discs) and tomorrow I'm going to get the U bolts bolted to set it on the floor.

My worry lies in the offset of the pinion on my Exploder rear end. Somewhere around 3.75" to the passenger side. Do I have anything to worry about? I don't doubt I'll have trans tunnel issues considering it's getting lowered in the back, but I'm just wondering about the angle of the pinion. Any thoughts? Did I make a mistake? I was under the impression that lots of guys did explorer 8.8 swaps without issue but looking at it worries me a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 71JAVVY - May/07/2012 at 12:46am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 6:42am
You will indeed want to pay attention to pinion angles, but more importantly, the driveshaft angles need to remain positive. There's good info in the AMC TSMs on this.
A lot of folks deviate and claim no issues, OTOH, I've seen small deviations cause mysterious vibrations.

My Eagle is one such car -  - a fast vibration at speeds over 65 mph, otherwise pretty smooth. I have to wonder if it's due to the springs being sagged, and my use of the "helpers" on the back halves of the springs, causing a bit of a tip in the differential, and making the front half of the spring soft while the rear half is quite stiff with those "helpers".
Just looking I can see the pinion is pointed down quite a bit while the rear of the transfer case is actually just a bit above drive shaft centerline.
Not a great combination. Need to get good springs in and get things set proper again.

(*Note to self - never buy cheap leaf springs - you end up paying in the end)
71JAVVY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71JAVVY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 9:46am
Well I'm pretty sure the pinion angle is okay (in terms of how we welded the perches) but I'm worried about the offset of the differential. Will that offset (and therefore lateral pinion angle) affect me too much?

I'm using the stock leaf springs on my build which are undoubtedly also sagged. LOL

I guess pray for no vibes?

Edited by 71JAVVY - May/07/2012 at 9:48am
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 11:27am
The offset to one side won't affect anything any more than a 3-4" up-and-down travel that the rear-end will move while driving over a bumpy road... the real question however is, will that much of an offset cause the drive-shaft to run against one side of the floor-pan (drive-shaft tunnel)?
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 2:12pm
I recall an earlier discussion on 8.8s and shortening the longer tube in order to centre the diff. Although you have already installed the perches, it might be worth looking at. From what I recall, the Explorer setup is a little wide, so shortening the tube kills two birds with one stone.

Check out the link to the Mustang forum (last post) and the step by step how-to on shortening the tube. Very interesting reading.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/rear-end-swap_topic36659.html?KW=8.8
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 2:44pm
good catch - I'd forgotten about reading that.
There HAS been chat on these rear ends here before.....
It might be worth a redo - although I agree with Bob (maybe the world IS about to end.... JUST KIDDING) there's nothing like going in with perfection and not having to "hope".
OTOH, at least with the up and down, you still would be maintaining a positive number on the angle, and the bumping would be a small percentage of the drive time, as compared to ALWAYS being off to one side a bit.

Personally, if it was mine, I'd not be against pulling it and seeing if it can be made better. But then I get a bit anal about such things and can't sleep until I go back out and pull it apart again.
71JAVVY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71JAVVY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 6:44pm

That was a really helpful 8.8 thread on the mustang side of things. The axle is actually somewhere between 1-2" narrower though, so I don't know if I could justify shortening it any more, especially 3". I already have wheels and tires laying around that I was planning on using.

Maybe I could swap the tubes side to side? The pumpkin itself offsets the pinion to the side that is already shorter, so that would put it closer to the center and help counter the offset. If that makes any sense..?

Edited by 71JAVVY - May/07/2012 at 6:46pm
MikeJames View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 10:08pm
Might want to look at a Ford Ranger 8.8......the offset is much less than the explorer rear end.
w.jackson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w.jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 10:22pm
I have the ford explorer 8.8 (disk, 4.10 gear, and richmond mini spool) in my spirit and so far haven't had any issues with vibration or hitting the tunnel or floor plans. I welded the spring perches at the same angle as the stock ford location. I have new leaf springs and shocks so there is no sag in the back either.
80 spirit
70 amx
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by 71JAVVY 71JAVVY wrote:

That was a really helpful 8.8 thread on the mustang side of things. The axle is actually somewhere between 1-2" narrower though, so I don't know if I could justify shortening it any more, especially 3". I already have wheels and tires laying around that I was planning on using.

Maybe I could swap the tubes side to side? The pumpkin itself offsets the pinion to the side that is already shorter, so that would put it closer to the center and help counter the offset. If that makes any sense..?

The axles are EXACTLY 3" different in length... this is the same thing I did with the 8.8 in my Rogue, except I had 3" taken out of the long tube, just above the where the spring-perch is welded on... the 3" inches taken out moves the pinion to within 1 1/4" of being centered .

Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic