TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 390 flexplate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 390 flexplate
    Posted: May/05/2012 at 10:13am
poormansMachine posted a photo of a 70/390/Borg Warner flexplate on Jun/03/2008.   That photo has been moved or deleted and now I need to compare it to my flexplate.  Is there a way to retreive that photo?   My torque converter to flexplate nuts have come loose several times and i just replaced the nuts with new ones.   The stud holes in the flexplate have elongated (egged?).  Can I have the holes redrilled in a different location without affecting the balance?   Thanks.   This forum is female caninein'.  I have learn so much from it.  I' believe restoring an AMX would not be possible without the AMC Forum and e-Bay.   Thanks for any help you can provide.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 11:25am
I dont see a problem with having the holes redrilled in a different location. As long as no weights are removed and nothing intefers with any weights.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 11:35am
^^^x2 what he said^^^
I would also use blue loctite on the nuts this time around.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 11:38am
If the pics were posted from a remote host ( photobucket) and  they are deleted or moved from there they won't show up here on the forum.  I don't think the forum had the ability to host pictures in 2008.

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

I dont see a problem with having the holes redrilled in a different location. As long as no weights are removed and nothing intefers with any weights.

This is incorrect. The offset weight is relative to the index of the bolt holes (one is off center from the other 5) so drilling the bolt holes in a different location will move the flex plate weight to an amount equal to the offset of the new holes and create an out of balance condition. The 6th bolt hole is offset specifically to ensure that the weigth on the flywheel is in one location only relative the counter weights on the crankshaft.

Will333 discovered his car had the wrong harmonic balancer offset weight on his 68 390 and it caused a vibration that was resolved by putting the correct balancer on his engine. The same would hold true if you move the bolt holes on the flex plate.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 8:54pm
I don't think he's changing the orientation of the plate to the crank -- he's changing the orientation of the converter to the plate. If the converter is neutral balanced it shouldn't matter.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 6:52am
You could also weld the elongated part closed. A little welding wire, a little grinding and you're done. Probably quicker than drilling new holes, which would have to be correctly/exactly spaced or the flex plate will be out of true and will cause all kinds of issues.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 7:25am
i took a F/P that was intended to be used with a 727 and drilled holes to make a TH400 converter fit it and mounted it to my 70 390 and it has worked great for 2 years now.

Yes it can be done!
RedX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 10:25pm
Thanks everyone.   I thought drilling was possible.   Didn't think about welding.   Could use a copper or brass 3/8" rod  to protect the "good part" of the hole during the welding process.   I installed the new nuts with the blue loctite.    Will try that first before pulling tranny.   Wish me luck.
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2012 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by whizkidder whizkidder wrote:

I don't think he's changing the orientation of the plate to the crank -- he's changing the orientation of the converter to the plate. If the converter is neutral balanced it shouldn't matter.

Upon rereading the OPs original posting, I stand corrected but I would imagine getting the stud holes properly lined up so the converter is positioned perfectly from center will be a real PITA plus you would wan to drill the new stud holes equidistant from the old ones in either direction so as to not cause any extra stress points that might crack if the new holes are too close to the old holes.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic