TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Major work on my 85 CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major work on my 85 CJ7
    Posted: Apr/25/2012 at 12:53pm
Well, I have been slaving away on the 85 CJ7 I scored at the E-town swap meet a few yrs ago. some of the things i've done so far: dropped in a Mallory Unilite dizzy, coil ,and wires, ( got them from craiglist $25) new spark plugs too ! cleaned up all the wires under the hood, it's a sm. blk. chevy conversion, when the previous owner took the old engine out all the un-used wires were just left hanging and laying everyplace. new alt. , built all new battery cables out of 1ga. welding cable and soldered on eyelets and weatherproofed all the solder joints. new milemarker hubs, new steering stabilizer from pro-comp.

what's left: change out the dash panel and get all the gauges and lights to work. ( might be a tall order there ! !)
                 change out the windshield frame, I have a nice used fiberglass one.
                  new borgeson or flaming river steering shaft.
                  1 piece axle kit
                  new master cyl. and replace a few rusty brake lines
                  weld in some patch panels on the floors
                  install poison spyder 3/16 rock guards on the corners
                  and change over tail lights to the 4 in L.E.D.s i've had for about 10 yrs sitting on a shelf

after all that might try to get an inspection sticker on it ! !

pics to follow stay tuned ! ! !
68 SS/AMX clone
79 CJ7 Golden Eagle 304/turbo400
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 9:30pm
Looking forward to the updates.
-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 11:12am
Thanks !
Just picked up a "NEW" flaming river steering shaft on CL and a bunch of other CJ stuff for $25 ! !
included 4 brand new ball joints and a new tie rod end.
Major score man ! !
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 10:17am
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 10:30am
Some pics of the 85 CJ7, these are the afters, I picked up a set of Accel yellow 8mm wires, a Mallory Promaster square type coil, and a Mallory Unilite dizzy used from CL ($25). The CJ had a set of the same yellow 8mm on it when I bought it, I cleaned them all up, and used the 2 sets to make 1 good set that fit correctly, and custom made 1 long coil wire to reach the inner fender well mounted coil, had to get the mounting bracket for the coil (ebay), the dizzy looked fine, it was missing the grommet that the 3 wires go thru though Unhappy , this isn't my 1st Unilite, I have a pin tool that works on the male/female plugs, dug that out, and picked up a radio shack grommet, and fixed that up. Marked and yanked the HEI and dropped in the Unilite, and she fired right up ! ! thru the timing lite on real quick and that was all done!
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 10:46am
Here's a pic from the passenger side, there were wires everywhere ! when I 1st got her, I went thru them and removed the wires,plugs/connectors etc.... that were no longer being used. Most were pretty easy, some of them look like they go to the water temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge, i'm not exactly sure what's what with those so I left them for a later date. All the wires being used I went over and routed and repaired and wire tied up, all the wires that I terminated out of the engine bay side of the fuse box were cleaned & capped with a vacuum type plug (like the ones used on carbs)  and I then secured it on with a correct size piece of heat shrink tubing. The unilite dizzy plug was sealed up with heat shrink also. I need to put a radiator shroud on it also, I think I have one floating around someplace.Ermm
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 11:00am
I picked up several packages of heatshink tubing from HF, I use that stuff on everything ! ! most of all with my Jeeps, I put silicone or hot glue on the splice or wire/connector, slide over a long piece of heatshrink and heat it up. This is a cost effective way of making a waterproof splice or connection. I'm a big fan of upgrading ALL the battery cables also. I have used old welding cable, but recently I found a place on ebay that sells new 1 and 2 ga. welding cable and fine strand battery cable at a great price, I think like $2.50 or $2.80 a ft. and free shipping. They also sell tinned 1&2 ga. eyelet lugs. I use marine type battery terminals and eyelets, and solder the wire in, hot glue all over and heatshrink on top of that. these things can carry lots of amps and are waterproof to say the least, at a fraction of the cost of a marine store ! !
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 11:14am
Picked up a new pair of MileMarker hubs from 4Wheeldrive Hardware, $85 free shipping ! ! The old ones looked pretty bad on the outside with rust and corrosion, so I took this oppertunity to up-grade and check things out inside. To my surprise the insde looked good Shocked ,grease was fresh, and not over packed. I put small "O" rings on the allen screws that hold the cap with the locking knob onto the hub. Makes it easier to take apart down the road when service is needed.
      The bad news was the brake lines going to both front calipers were cracked Thumbs Down and of course the banjo bolt and bleeder screw were all full of mud and rust Angry
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 11:16am
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
xtm10 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtm10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 11:29am
I swapped out the heavily rusted out windshield frame on Sun. May 13th. I had this old fiberglass one laying around so I put it to good use, I lucked out as far as the glass goes, neither one had cracked glass or clouding on the edges Clap. The hinges were a lil'gummed up so a few shots of PB blast freed them up. Next up is the dash panel replacement and getting the temp/fuel/volt meter and oil pressure gauges to work. I already checked the oil press. with a tester, cold it's about 45-50 psi. and when she warmed up it's around 30 at idle (900 rpm) I think i'm pretty safe with that.Star
68 SS/AMX clone
85 CJ7 w/chevy 350
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic