TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

R134a A/C low side pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R134a A/C low side pressure
    Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 5:04pm

I have specs for what the low side pressure (good indicator of system charge level) should be at various ambient temperatures, but those specs were for R12.

What should the low side pressure be for a brand new 134a converted system?  It runs about 15-18 PSI on an 80 degree day.  
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 5:40pm
The low side pressure will vary and is not as good for diagnosis as the high side pressure. The one I installed on my 68 Rogue runs 150 psi on the high side on a hot day, blowing 38 degree air. My 67 runs a little higher pressure and will only get down to about 41 degrees. I had a non-AMC that needed to run about 220 high side to be good and cold. I usually start at about 150 high side and add refrigerant until I get air in the 40 degree range without exceeding a pressure of twice ambient temperature plus 80. I test it at a high idle with a fan blowing at the front of the car, all the vents but one closed, a thermometer in the open vent and the fan on low or medium.
If you converted an original system and know the weight of R12 that it took, you should add about 80% of that weight in R134A.
There, I said a lot and didn't answer your question.

Edited by 6768rogues - Apr/22/2012 at 5:43pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 11:54am
The low side (suction side) of any air conditioning system should run at 45 degrees regardless of refrigerant. So an R-134a system should be around 40# SST. If it runs higher, the cabin is really hot or it probably has non-condsables (air or something other than refrigerant) in the system. You did evacuate the system after recovering the R-12, right?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 9:56pm
In the early days of A/C purging was an accepted practice!
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 7:45am
I know. I did my share of purging when I did A/C&R service last century. But now it is a no-no and refrigerant should be recovered and the system evacuated. And purging doesn't get everything out of the system that is why evacuation is a must to ensure the system is clean and doesn't contain any non-condensables.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 11:06am
Yeah, can't let ANYTHING marked/sold as refrigerant into the atmosphere, even it if IS perfectly harmless (such as Enviro-Safe, which is a propane/butane blend, and works better than R-134a in most systems, about the same as R-12). The blanket ruling makes it easier to police, can't blame the EPA much for that. Purging is also called "sweep charging" and requires some refrigerant to be vented to the atmosphere.

You can find R-134a pressure charts on the web easy enough, just search!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic