TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Amx Quarter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amx Quarter
    Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 1:23pm
No worries man thanks.
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 1:07pm
passenger side is what i needed, along with the tail panel
Oroville, Ca
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2012 at 12:03pm
How much did that rear clip set you back?? Do you still have the passenger rear quarter section?

Edited by 348AMX - Oct/13/2012 at 12:24pm
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 6:53pm
Use a spot weld cutter, strip off the paint at all the factory seams it will make it easy to see the spot welds, center punch or use a 1/8 drill to leave a small dimple in the center of each weld then cut with the spot weld cutter use a slow speed and stay square. Some tool vendors have a hardened flat bar that can be tapped with a hammer thru the seam after you drill out the spot welds to help separate the panels. You also may find some spot that are brazed you will need to cut with a cut off wheel.
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 4:42pm
Save those pillar post pieces, the s.s. pieces behind the quarter windows, the roof, etc. I've previously sold all these parts to members that needed these parts
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 2:22pm
well, the filler has rust in the left side window area,trunk lid is rotten on the lower edge,  and the tweeks cut the floors  very badly- but i may have a extra left quarter when im done
Oroville, Ca
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 2:00pm
As Mike said, if you use a spot weld cutter to carefully disassemble your donor 1/2 of an AMX, you will end up with parts you don't need that you can resell; passenger qtr, roof, panel under rear window, trunk section, floor sections....
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 12:49pm
the part that im questioning is in the door jamb- there are 3 parts- door jamb, quarter, latch support, the edge of quarter is sandwiched between the other 2

the jamb is undamaged, wont know about wheel house until i pull quarter- i know the drop is gone, and tail light panel will also be replaced at same time
i will remove filler and use factory seam in roof

LOL... changing my mind isnt an option- this old dog WILL live to bark again- i have a 401/t-5 slated to fill its needs
Oroville, Ca
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 12:31pm
Buy a spotweld cutter or use a 1/4" drill.  Spend a day cutting all the factory welds.  In trunk at drop; around the quarter cap area and trunk lip; underside of the wheel opening unless you need the wheel tub and along the door jamb.  If the jamb is straight, the skin wraps over the jamb by about 1/2" at the edge of the jamb.  If not, then it's a whole nuther ball-game.  It's your decision on how much roof material you need to leave.  There is a spotwelded and leaded seam from the top of the quarter glass over to the backglass.  It's not fun but it can be done.  Mike  Ps. You'll need to perform surgery twice; once on your car; once on the doner.  Oh, start with the doner first incase you change your mind.  M 
Mike
AmcKidd View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmcKidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2012 at 12:10pm
let me preface by saying, 20 years ago i woulda parted this out SOOO fast....
Oroville, Ca
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic