TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'63 Rambler Classic oil filter type

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrispycub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '63 Rambler Classic oil filter type
    Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 10:09pm
I'm almost ashamed to ask this simple question: I just got this Rambler and I need to change the oil and filter tomorrow- when I go to Auto Zone, what do I call this type of oil filter? The one that's on it now is from the 1980's.
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 12:28am
Get the Brand name and part number off of the old one. If it's a 196 It think its a PH50. I think. If you use the search function on this forum you should find it easy. It may not be available over the counter anymore it maybe a special order item. 
59ramblersuper6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59ramblersuper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 12:29am
Oh and they should be able to cross reference the number from the old filter. 
Chrispycub View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrispycub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 5:24am
Thanks! I'm gonna send my spouse up there this afternoon while I'm at work and put it on tonight. It says "P-3" on the old one so I hope they give us the right one or I'll just have them special order if it isn't in stock. I'm dying to get this car on the road already!!! Hahaha
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 7:32am
If it's a cast iron 195.6, it should have a Fram PB50.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
68_Javy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68_Javy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 8:30am
DO NOT use a Fram filter, they literally destroy engines, their filter material falls apart and does a terrible job filtering the oil, you might as well put a cup there instead of a Fram. any other brand is fine, I've been using purolators and Mobil1s lately, I am happy with how they work. K&N makes a nice one too.
Dan B.
1968 AMC Javelin 232 3 speed
Chrispycub View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrispycub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 8:30am
I believe it's an aluminum 195.6- been considering switching out to cast iron one though.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:32am
Autozone won't have it.
NAPA can get it.
Sometimes a Fleet & Farm store will stock it because the PB50 was used on some industrial, agricultural equipment.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Chrispycub Chrispycub wrote:

I believe it's an aluminum 195.6- been considering switching out to cast iron one though.

If it's the aluminium engine, forget our talk about the PB50. It should be a PH 11 or equivalent, and those are easy to find.
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 9:36am
Originally posted by 68_Javy 68_Javy wrote:

DO NOT use a Fram filter, they literally destroy engines, their filter material falls apart and does a terrible job filtering the oil, you might as well put a cup there instead of a Fram. any other brand is fine, I've been using purolators and Mobil1s lately, I am happy with how they work. K&N makes a nice one too.

While I don't trust Frams the way I used to, I really don't think they'd still be in the oil filter business if they were as bad as you say!Wink  I'll use them when I have to, but prefer to use WIX which makes NAPA Gold (and every September and March my local NAPA store sells filters at 75% off list! So, I just stocked up!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic