TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Rambler American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 1:55am
Dug out the Pertronix it's a 1641, I think (it's in the garage now), got two sets of points and two condensers from RockAuto, got a '58 American TSM, a 1960 Operator's Manual, and the new ignition switch arrived today. Should have what we need to try to start it up now.

Quart of Corroseal arrived last week, but my poor daughter has had a serious cold w/temps @ 103. She's not been in much of a mood to scrape rust and pull seats.

Family has a huge garage sale planned for the weekend after Mother's Day, and I am going to be swamped trying to organize the 'sale pile'. A benefit of being currently unemployed. We might try to squeeze in some 'Sunny' time for comic relief.

More to come as we move (slowly) forward :)
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2012 at 8:25pm
Well, slow, as usual...

I'm going to need two front drums. When I was first suspicious I found them on RockAuto.com, but there are no more fronts listed. Anyone know where I can get some?

Looks like I may need to get this rig up and running until I can refi the house. Going to probably have to sell my beater van.

On another note, I'm back to work, but the pay is well below where I was this time last year. Love the job though. If anyone is interested, I'm building some really cool stuff at Rosen Aviation. If you need an entertainment system for your private/corporate jet, just PM me... :)
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
DocCreer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 12:21am
Awesome Car,Im in Oregon too and rebuilding a 61 american for my sister,if you need any info on where to get parts,or help,shoot me a message.
61 American
82 eagle limited
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2012 at 5:32pm
Well, life certainly is entertaining. It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to use this Rambler for my daily.

I can barely keep the lights on and the fridge full, so Scarebird is out for now. This is a severe budget build, and certainly not my first choice for a daily driver. But, I own the car, and I'm able to do most anything to it that it NEEDS. The trick is deciding what's a want and what's a need. LOL

With that in mind, I intend to swap out the front brakes for something more modern, but I'd like to do a 'bolt on' using discs from a 70's Grem/Hornet. A couple of Pacers nearby too, but I don't know if they used the small car brakes. Anyone?

I've got a line on a '78 Concord for parts, but I'm not sure how late I can go. I've not actually done this swap, Frank had already completed it on the '63 American when I purchased it, years ago.

What do I need to take off the Concord? I thought there were simply 4 bolts on the spindle that I could pull and just remove the whole front rotor/caliper/spindle. Am I mistaken? (Obviously the wheel/rotor/caliper has to come off first.)

The car needs a master anyway, so I'll use a '61-'63 dual res. If the plumbing for the discs is bigger than the '60 MC outlets, I should only need a fitting adapter for the rears.

As per the earlier posts, it needs quite a bit of stuff:
-Brakes
-Clutch linkage looked at
-Front & rear window gaskets
-Fuel filler solution (of some sort)
-Fuel pump/wiper vac rebuild/replacement
-Ignition upgrade

I'm in a position where I have no choice but to step this project up to the front burner, so your advice and replies are most appreciated. Once I get it running, stopping and shifting, I should be able to sell off our second car and point a little of that money towards the build.

If you've got parts, especially if you're relatively nearby, I'd like to hear from you. I'm in the Eugene, OR area.

Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2013 at 2:08pm
About time for an update on this thing.

Messed around a bit and got it running, still needs attention to the brakes, and the clutch linkage.

Bodywork has started. I'll try to get some photos up, we just had a baby, so things are a bit crazy around here. :)

My comp crashed about 3 months ago and I'd been looking for the forum address, sorry it took so long to update. I will get photos up soon, car is about 1/3 prepped on the driver's side. Still a long way to go...

Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2013 at 6:48pm
Does anyone know if 61-63 window regulators will work in this '60? All four have stripped gears. :(

Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2013 at 10:00pm
Ok, decided to take a good look at why the clutch pedal was all whack. Instead of an isolator plate, there are two sets of 3 chain links securing it to the block side mount. I tried to get a pic, and I will before I take it apart. Very ingenious, but um...sort of rinky-dink.

So, here is my question: Is one end of the clutch beam 'free'? The side that mounts to the insulator makes sense, but the other end just sort of rests against the inner fenderwell lip? Doesn't make sense to me.

This pic shows the linkage in an exploded form, the end opposite the isolator is what I'm concerned about. Does it just float or does it attach to something (near the #6)? Additionally, there are some metal sort of two hole washer things in this photo (3 are shown, near the end of the arrow #3), I'm guessing to add rigidity to the whole assy. Is this something I could just fashion out of sheet plate?

This is an underphoto showing the linkage in place. Where it shows the 1/2" gap, I don't see any way to attach this to the car.

Finally, an update on the (slow) bodywork. :)

Making some progress, as soon as I can figure out how to get the 'running' video off of FB, I'll get it over to photobucket and loaded up here. :)

Any help on this clutch thing is most appreciated. I ordered the repair kit from Galvin's and have it, but I don't want to put it on until I know if I need to fashion those two-hole keepers...

Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2013 at 8:13pm
Nice project.  Sorry to hear about the money problems.  I can certainly relate.  My dad did more than a few miracles to keep our worn out old station wagon on the road when I was a kid.  Were you able to find the brake parts you need?  I have a pair of 9" drums that I got from another forum member.  I think they were from a 65 or 66 american if I remember correctly.  They're yours if you want them and you think they'll fit.  Just pay the shipping.  They look almost new.  PM if you still need them.  

If you get that video and upload it to YouTube, you can embed it in the forum post and it will play in the post instead of loading a new page!

Ray
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2013 at 4:43pm
Bump.
Anyone have any tips on this clutch linkage? '58-'60 should all be the same. I'd appreciate a photo of this setup in a car if someone has one.

RebelRay - Thanks for the note. Solved most of my money problems with a recent job upgrade, but it's only an 18 month contract...so now's the time to get caught up and get this car on the road. I've owned 2 big body Rebels, one was a '68 'Vert, 287 AT (never should have let it go), and a '68 SST 343 AT 2DHT. Had a lot of fun with both of them. Sort of eyeing a '66 Rebel here in the area, but it's pretty rough...
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2013 at 1:24pm
Did you ever get the clutch linkage figured out? It's way different from the 61-63 models...

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic