TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Rambler American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 9:45pm
Nice little project she has there. What color(s) does she want to paint it?
Keep us posted
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 11:16pm
Neat car! I still can't believe you towed it home with a Caravan!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 1:17am
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Nice little project she has there. What color(s) does she want to paint it?
Keep us posted
Dave ----

The plan for now is to keep it yellow. We're looking at a couple of more modern Mazda and VW yellows.

Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Neat car! I still can't believe you towed it home with a Caravan!

2.5L straight 4 no less. The rig has some history...haha. It made the trip, the brakes are fresh and the 3spd AT got me 18pmg with the Rambler behind it (down hill). The weight differential was in my favor, not by much, but the Rambler really is not very heavy.

nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 6:40pm
Picked up a full set of '53 Statesman 15" wheels today. Finally. Grabbed a set of near new used 165 VW Bug tires and now I should have what we need to get this thing standing up correctly. It's got the 14" '68 American rims on the back now, with 15" chrome stamped steel 'holey' rims up front. The 14"s that were on the rear had 50 profile tires on them, and I think the front has 55z. It's stupid low and a pain to get under without a jack.

Try to get some pics up after the little Ms. runs some steel wool and compound around the 70 year old rims...
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2012 at 1:34am
Have a fairly high degree of confidence that this car will run, and quite likely shift. I have NO confidence it will stop. Scarebird looks like the way to go, but I'm just not coming up with an acceptable master cylinder solution.

Suggestions? or links here that I haven't found?

Thank you!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 8:44pm
brakes: i (and likely others) strongly suggest you re-plumb the brake lines, and then it's easy to convert to a modern dual master cylinder. On my '63 American I installed a NEW master cyl that cost $27 -- not a rebuilt. Info here: http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index.html

(I bought a Scarebird kit for this car, haven't installed it yet, will do so in May.)
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

On my '63 American I installed a NEW master cyl that cost $27 -- not a rebuilt. Info here: http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index. - http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/index.html

I read this page once, I must have missed the MC swap. BTW, tomj, I'm a huge fan of your work and your web pages on your car. Thanks for documenting all the stuff you've done. The air holes in the drums are brilliant (and skillfully executed).
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 1:43am
When I picked up the 15" wheels from the '53 Statesman, I discovered it had a complete L-head and AT. Yard wants $350 for both. Anything in there I can use? $250 for just the engine. Still researching the different flatheads. Is the AT even worth looking at? With the L-head, it seems like it would be a dog.

Any thoughts on picking this up for a spare?
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 12:43am
I did a couple of searches, but couldn't find what I was after. I've got a Pertronix ignition here, and I'm nearly positive it's a 'spare' I bought for my old 196.

Can someone confirm the early 6 Pertonix PN please?
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 7:41am
My Dad had a 60 with a rare continental kit.  That thing looked fantastic!!!!!!!!!  The car was Brown bottom and a Cream top.  I have always liked the American.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic