TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Rambler American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '60 Rambler American
    Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 9:29pm
Hi folks, new to the forum but not Ramblers. Just bought this car, and it's going to need pretty much everything gone through. I posted an intro in the new member section, too.

I've only got a '63 & '64 TSM for the American, I'm thinking there are a couple of different bits underneath on this '60. So, a few quick questions:

1. I'm about 95% sure, but can someone confirm for me that the wheel lugs are all Right Hand Thread? Had an old Dodge flathead and a Stude that I broke lugs off of becuase I didn't check first.

2. Are the jacking points under the car the same as for the '61-'63?

3. Can someone refresh me on proper flat towing of this thing? I want to say backside first onto a 2 wheel car dolly, but it's a stick so I think I could put it on either way. I've only got to move it about 45 miles (and it's pretty much all downhill).

I need to play with the forum settings a bit more and then I'll try to get some pics up.

Thanks!
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 7:00am
I've never owned a pre-1961 Rambler but here's my thoughts.

Either way on the towing.   Just don't go too fast.  It will be more stable with the heavy part of the car up on the dolly though.   It's usually recommended to disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up or remove it for really long tows.   That's a problem if you have the big nut rear universal joint though.  I would only put the rear end first on a dolly if I had some problem like a locked brake that forced me to position it that way.

I think the jacking points are the same as the 61-63 because the 61-63 models were just re-skinned pre-61 Americans.  Original lugs should be all right hand thread.  If you look closely at the tips, beyond the lug nuts, you should be able to confirm that.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 1:02pm
Hey Pacerman, thanks! We're hoping to go get it today. I scored a set of '68 stock American steelies w/14" tires. Once we get it up on all fours, I'll have a better idea what's what. I'm considering a flatbed trailer, it's the tow rig that's causing me fits. My '88 4 banger Caravan just doesn't have the cajones to stop this whole mess, so I'm calling in favors to guys with trucks. If I can't find a good setup, I may just rent both truck and dolly from U-Haul. They gouge the heck out of you these days, but at least I know I'll get it home that way.

Pictures soon, my daughter is chomping at the bit to get this thing home. She is fully armed with camera and lots of youthful enthusiasm. :)
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 1:31pm
Here is the first photo we took. She forgot her camera, so this is from my phone. This is the worst side, the lower bodywork is full of bondo...

Not sure about this forum, but I'm reluctant to post pics of my kids. Please be kind, she's only 14. :)

SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 6:25pm
Don't worry - This is a nice family forum and there are some under 18 members on here.

It's a darling car, and your daughter is to be commended for her choice in vehicles.  Smart women drive Ramblers. Thumbs Up

What are the plans for it?  I can imagine the dreams she has for it - this is GREAT!

We ended up buying a flatbed of our own because renting the U-haul trailer for every little trip with my car was getting crazy.  Best thing we ever did.
Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 8:18pm
neat little rambler your daughter has great taste you said you picked up some steelies it could look like this
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 11:18pm
It's home. Nothing noteworthy really. Got a U-Haul dolly for the Caravan after I discovered the hitch was rated @ 3500#.

We did get about 4 minutes of sunshine, then pea-gravel sized hail followed by continuous rain. I'm still soaked as I write this.

The seller and I did up a bill of sale and a deposit agreement, and he gave me the title. So 'technically' I own the car but I haven't actually paid him the full balance yet. He wasn't home the entire the 3 hours I was there loading the car. I stuck note in his mailbox as his phone number appears disconnected. I have the balance of the money for him and he has the only key to the car. I have the title and BOS, but it was NOT fun trying to get this thing out of the muck and mud without access to the steering wheel.

I used a come-along strapped to the tow dolly and winched it out about 10 feet. Took 3 successive attempts, my come-along only has about 10 feet of cable. Swapped my 14" steelies on the rear, you already know...the front's wouldn't fit, hit the tie rod ends. Fortunately the front tires were in way better shape than the rears and they were on the dolly anyway. I just checked the air in them as we made our way down the mountain.  Had to re-cinch the straps once and retorque one of the rears, but otherwise. It's sitting in the front yard waiting on daylight to offload. :)
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2012 at 12:00am
As it sat. 3/4 of the car was less than 18" from a Cherokee in the driveway. A bit tight.

Almost out...

All loaded up. Hard to see, but the snow was maybe 100ft above where we were.

Man! That guy is following way too close! haha..

nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 1:40am
Messed around today after I got it off the dolly. Don't have a spare battery laying around, so I had to sort of rig it up. Used my remote starter trigger, since the key doesn't seem to fit the ignition.

Teaspoon of Marvel in each cylinder, oil checked, added some water (the radiator leaks), turned it by hand several times and then gave it a couple of bumps. The points, rotor and cap all look great, but I didn't closely examine the points. Hooked up the coil on a couple of attempts, but no spark at plug 1 or 2 (those are the only 2 I pulled). It's pretty mickey-moused during the vid, but I wanted to baseline it and see if will be able to get a compression check before we put 'fire' to it. I have a 2aH trickle charger on the battery. Maybe tomorrow we'll make a little more progress...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186ukeday/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/?=view&current=Sunny047.mp4 - http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/nukeday/60%20Rambler%20American/Getting%20it%20running/?action=view&current=Sunny047.mp4

Can't quite figure out how to embed it here, jostling around a 50 year old car two days in a row has me tuckered out...

Edited by nukeday - Apr/07/2012 at 1:54am
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2012 at 2:08am
A few more pics. This is where it will be until I can get it in the garage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic