TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Rambler American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '60 Rambler American
    Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 1:20pm
cool
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2014 at 1:43pm
You can get longer soft lines, but that probably won't help. Hard lines come in up to 5' lengths and aren't expensive. I used a couple 5' lengths to replace the rear line in my car, just use a union connector in the center. Might be time to just replace the lines. 
Frank Swygert
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 5:55pm
So yeah, front passenger brake lines are not coming apart. Soaked them overnight in PB, but no joy. Banged up the 3/8" hard line fitting pretty good. The clearance for the 5/8" at the back of the wheel cylinder is so tight I can't get my wrench on it enough to break it loose. Pulled the cylinder through the backing plate and tired it that way, but nope. Nothing doing. So both ends of the soft line might as well be welded on. Considered just cutting it off, but the hard line is already so taught there's no latitude to cut if off and reflare it. 

Got me a little pissy at the moment, actually.

Checked out the fuel tank today, and went ahead and dropped it. It was all disconnected already, and this is probably why:

This is looking into the trunk, the hole is where the forward side of the gas tank strap mounts to the trunk floor. So, ah yeah, need to take care of that.

That's it for now. I may go out and work on the schoolbus, it needs new lights and a ground issue sorted out. No stupid 50 year old 3/8" fittings and crusty metal brake lines to deal with...

Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 10:44pm
Alright, one more. 1994, San Jose, CA. You know what it is. A bit hard to tell in the photo but it is a Cross Country. Bought it for $650, rebuilt the carb and drove that puppy. I believe it was for sale not long ago in the Bay Area for $12.5K....very confident it's the same car. If someone here owns it, gimme' a shout.

Edited by nukeday - May/29/2014 at 10:47pm
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 9:43pm
Got the master cylinder in, but didn't get to the front passenger brake. It's the tightest of all of them, I'm going to see if I can back off the adjuster before I pull the drum. If the rest of the car is any indication, the adjuster *should* be free.

My two-year old helper decided to play 'A Christmas Story' with the lug nuts, and I spent a half hour trying to find them all. It's entertaining, because he doesn't actually talk. He understood just fine though, and showed me that he'd carefully placed three of the lugnuts on the various axles of the bicycles in the driveway. Pretty smart fella', if I do say so. 

Anyway, two are MIA, and the whole thing sort of busted the wrenching vibe, so I put it up for today.

Discovered that the 15" rims off the '50 something Statesman actually rub the tie rod ends. I'm wondering now if all the 'brake noise' I thought I heard was just the rims rubbing....

Hope to wrap up the brakes tomorrow, and maybe throw the new radiator in and play with some wiring. I'm tired of looking at this thing just sit.

Edited by nukeday - May/29/2014 at 9:47pm
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 7:13pm
Grabbed the stuff I needed, and rockauto brought the rest. Putting the MC in now, just took a break for a bite to eat. More photos tonight, maybe. Pretty exciting stuff...haha..but it's progress.

Not sure the filler neck is going to work, but I thought as long as I was out, I'd try to find something. That's next on the list, when the brakes are done. It's out of a '73 Opel Manta.

Not sure if I ever got this up, but we had it running last summer. Might have it actually on the road in the next few weeks. We'll see.

Edited by nukeday - May/29/2014 at 7:16pm
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 10:35am
And if that fails, just order seals from Galvin, as he should know what fits. 
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 2:30pm
Wheel seals are common enough that you should be able to get them at a local store, take them home and compare them to you yours, and return them if they don't fit.  If you can read the seal number on yours, you can shop by phone for a crossover number.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 1:24pm
Hey folks, quick question on the front wheel bearing seals. I've only had the front driver drum off, but the bearing seal appears to be lined with cork, and is degraded. It's possible I damaged it when pulling the drum, but it's really difficult to tell. 

I don't have any reason to think I need to replace the bearings, they look fine. Anyone have experience on the synthetic/neoprene seals that are available? I know there are a couple of items out there that are listed as 'such & such', but are simply the wrong part, Rambler shocks come to mind. 

Still need to order the soft lines, so I'll be putting an order in with either Galvin's or Rockauto. Like to avoid ordering parts that won't fit.

Comments appreciated. :)

Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
nukeday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukeday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2014 at 2:59pm
Went ahead and just ordered the left and right front wheel cylinders, I still have to replace the MC as well, and order the soft hose and keepers. 

I have been playing with the angle of the fuel neck, I think I've found a couple of stock pipes that might just drop in. The length will need to be adjusted, but it could save a lot of time fabbing something up.

Frank, since the front and rear brakes appear pretty much the same, I just realized I can use the anchor plates off of any Bendix rear setup I come across. Thanks for the push to think about it just a smidge more. Doh.
Rambler/Datsun/Saab fan
'60 American Super
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic