TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Inexpensive Sonic Tester - Check Cylinder Walls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Inexpensive Sonic Tester - Check Cylinder Walls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inexpensive Sonic Tester - Check Cylinder Walls
    Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 7:02pm

Fellas -

I bought an ultrasonic thickness tester off eBay a few years ago.  Chinese and not very expensive.

Problem with it is that the probes they shipped with it were flat and too large for the curve of a cylinder wall, so it would not sit flush on the cylinder wall.  Read somewhere that folks were sanding theirs down, so I did that to mine.  No luck.  Measurements vary fairly significantly now.

Has anyone found a reasonably priced probe that fits one of the Chinese sonic testers?  Mine does not have a brand name evident, but figure the attachments are the same.

I realize that the industry standard is the Dakota unit, but I don't have $1,200 to shell out for one of these.

Thanks,

Scott

Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 9:24pm
Matt at Bulltear (jeepsr4ever) used to sell a pretty nice one.  I don't see it listed on his site any more, but maybe he still has a line on them.  Wouldn't hurt to PM him.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 9:25pm
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 5:47pm
I bought one from Bulltear when he first was making them available.  It does not have all the gadgetry and features of the CB110 from NBT Systems we use in the shop, but it's just as accurate. It will give you all the info you need, just not as conveniently.  When compared to the $1700 we spent for the one in the shop, it's a bargain.  We rent it out for $40/day with a $300 deposit and paid for it in two months.
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Class Guy Class Guy wrote:

I bought one from Bulltear when he first was making them available.  It does not have all the gadgetry and features of the CB110 from NBT Systems we use in the shop, but it's just as accurate. It will give you all the info you need, just not as conveniently.  When compared to the $1700 we spent for the one in the shop, it's a bargain.  We rent it out for $40/day with a $300 deposit and paid for it in two months.

That's good to hear.  If I can't find a good sensor to get mine working well, I'll be getting another one.

Thanks

Scott 
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 8:27am

I just looked at the specs for mine and have a question - I see that the Bulltear unit has an 8mm sensor and it looks flat to me.  That's the same size one mine has and it would not conform to the curvature of the cylinder walls.  I was hoping to get a smaller and/or curved sensor, but sounds like the one that you have works fine.  How do you get accurate readings if the center of the sensor doesn't touch the cylinder walls?  Do you use something thicker than oil (vaseline, grease, etc) to connect the sensor to the walls?

Here are a few pics of what I have.  The smaller sensor is 8 mm and I ground it down some so it would fit the curvature of the cylinder walls, but lost accuracy/repeatability when I did that.

[image]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/sd_walters/100_3372.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/sd_walters/100_3370.jpg[/image]

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by bulletpruf - Apr/04/2012 at 8:28am
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 8:29am
Originally posted by bulletpruf bulletpruf wrote:

[QUOTE=Class Guy]I bought one from Bulltear when he first was making them available.  It does not have all the gadgetry and features of the CB110 from NBT Systems we use in the shop, but it's just as accurate. It will give you all the info you need, just not as conveniently.  When compared to the $1700 we spent for the one in the shop, it's a bargain.  We rent it out for $40/day with a $300 deposit and paid for it in two months.

I just looked at the specs for mine and have a question - I see that the Bulltear unit has an 8mm sensor and it looks flat to me.  That's the same size one mine has and it would not conform to the curvature of the cylinder walls.  I was hoping to get a smaller and/or curved sensor, but sounds like the one that you have works fine.  How do you get accurate readings if the center of the sensor doesn't touch the cylinder walls?  Do you use something thicker than oil (vaseline, grease, etc) to connect the sensor to the walls?

Thanks,

Scott
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 8:34am
We use and recommend plain white lithium grease.  How do I get accurate readings?  Calibrate it first.  The unit makes up the difference in curvature. 

The sonic waves or electronic waves are transmitted from the surface of the probe.  If you grind it to make it curved, the wave signals then are transmitted in a fan shape and the return echo will not return in a strong enough concentration to the probe to get an accruate signal.  Also, the waves bouncing around at all kinds of angles will cancel out much of the signal and cause ricochet waves to return to the probe so you will get inaccurate readings.

Edited by Class Guy - Apr/04/2012 at 8:38am
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 9:04am

We use and recommend plain white lithium grease.  How do I get accurate readings?  Calibrate it first.  The unit makes up the difference in curvature. 

The sonic waves or electronic waves are transmitted from the surface of the probe.  If you grind it to make it curved, the wave signals then are transmitted in a fan shape and the return echo will not return in a strong enough concentration to the probe to get an accruate signal.  Also, the waves bouncing around at all kinds of angles will cancel out much of the signal and cause ricochet waves to return to the probe so you will get inaccurate readings.

Ok, I'll see if I can get a replacement probe (mine looks just like the one Bulltear has) and will try it with white lithium grease.

Thanks,

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by bulletpruf bulletpruf wrote:

Ok, I'll see if I can get a replacement probe (mine looks just like the one Bulltear has) and will try it with white lithium grease.

Thanks,

Scott

Found a place in California (NDT Systems or something like that) that sells just a transducer/sensor with a bit of a curve so it will fit the inside of a cylinder wall.  However, it's $245 for just the transducer w/cord.  The one Matt/Bulltear sells is only $100 more for the entire setup.  Had hoped to find one for $50 or something like that.

Scott

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic