TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SS AMX DRAG-ON-LADY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Camillion21 Camillion21 wrote:

Hello!
I hope this gets to you!
I met Cary and family 30+ years ago and went to his place with my AMX (70 390) to look at the 'Lady'.
Cary told me that it was titled in his son's name - Son's all grown up now!
I would be very interested if he still owns it? Ever finished it? Where it's at now?
Any response is appreciated!
Thanks!
Chris M

Chris Cary sold traded it to a guy in Arkansas. He got a nice 70 go pack car with 50,000 miles on it. 
Cary no longer has any AMC’s he lives in Florida and drives a nice Red 64 Corvette roadster. 
This is son, I am sure I met you. I am grown 44 these days. 

Rag’s 
Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

Hate to see a historic car like that go down the crapper.....

Not sure why you think it went down the crapper?
It was Carys baby, that summer when we got it home it got the clone motor out of my Black w/ Gold stipes 69 AMX put in it. And if you say the old wheels and tires in the picture they were stickly for towing the car around. It had new shiny wheels with drag slicks and skinny minis.  

Rag’s 
Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

I let Cary purchase 'my' NOS crank and bearings that I'd ordered which had just come in at the local AMC Dealer so that he could get the AMX back on the road.  I remember both Pat and I screaming at Cary that he was over-revving the motor.
Mike you are particularly right. 
You did sell my dad a new crank and we were all screaming under the tree but it was because the car was so damn loud with the open Doug Thorley Headers!!
Do you not remember the second tack mounted to the engine bay?
Rag’s 
Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Does Gordon Gibson in Arkansas still have the Drag-On-Lady S/S AMX ?
Was Cary over revving it because it felt and sounded so good, or just failed to know better ?

As far as I know it’s still in Arkansas. 
The car was not running well at all misfiring and popping. He probably was given it to much gas but that was not the route cause. 
Trust me he knew his AMX motors and what he could and could not do. He bought 2 of them brand new in 1970 and at one point had 13. 

Rag’s 
Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 7:11pm
Not sure why Pat would say the things he did. My father helped him on the side of the Highway when his El Camino blew a radiator hose that weekend. My only guess is he is still upset my dad did not sell him Drag-On-Lady. 
My dad did more for AMC’s then just about anyone on the west coast. 
I am not sure how to post pictures on this forum. But I have plenty. 
Rag’s 

Edited by Ragtop409 - Mar/04/2019 at 7:21pm
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 7:32pm
Cool stories Rags!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 7:49pm
".. the second tack mounted to the engine bay?".  We were screaming at Cary because my Engine Analyzer that was hooked up was showing 6000+ rpm revs.  Cary kept saying his onboard tach was not redlining.  Something was wrong.  Evidently, one of us was correct.  I'm glad to hear the car is still around.
Mike
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Ragtop409 Ragtop409 wrote:

I am not sure how to post pictures on this forum. But I have plenty. 
Rag’s 

Welcome to the Forum Rags,
you need a certain number of posts to be able to attach a pic (30 posts?)

or you can link them if they're already on line somewhere
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 8:13pm
Sorry Charlie, no disrespect, but your memory is mixed up and Mike Maher has and will confirm what I have stated as the actual events of that day. Mike is the guy you mentioned who came over to help. That was ~ 37 years ago and you were a young boy of around 7 years old putting around in a go cart that weekend and you were one of a group of AMC'ers who enjoyed my hospitality and stayed in my home for most of that week.

Mike had his Sears multi-function engine analyzer hooked up under the hood and Cary was pegging the RPM meter off the 6,000 rpm scale of Mike's meter. Mike and I were both at the engine compartment motioning to Cary to cut off the engine when it let loose.

As far as me making the award plaques in my garage, yes I made the awards for the show, but I was not making them at the exact time the motor let loose. Prior to the over rev'ing, Cary had pulled the cross ram for whatever reason and used silicon to seal the gaskets at the ends of the intake, but when it was tightened down, those seals squished out of place. Cary asked if I had any spray carpet adhesive, which I did, and he sprayed the adhesive on those seals and they stayed in place once he tightened down the intake.

Regarding me bringing the Drag On Lady to our show on my car trailer, that is a simple fact and if you need to challenge that further, I have an old photo of the show that shows us unloading her off my trailer at the show.

Now finally, again your memory is mixed up regarding the flat tire on my 70 AMX race car. The show was on Saturday, I raced that 70 AMX the next day on Sunday at the Concord Pavilion in an autocross and took the 1st Place trophy for the quickest time. I was running wide Goodyear Blue Streak Racing slicks on all 4 rims and the side walls of the front tires were rubbing the front suspension under heavy high speed turns and rubbed a hole in one of the side walls that blew out that tire.

Glad to see you are still into the hobby, but you should really loosen up a little on your accusations that are totally unfounded.

PS - I kept the RWB AMC jacket that Cary gave me as a Thank you for my hospitality. I never wore it, as it was to small for me and I recently sold it to another Forum member.

Edited by 69BBB3904spAMX - Apr/21/2019 at 10:23pm
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
Ragtop409 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ragtop409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2019 at 8:14pm
Mike. My posts were not ment as an attack on you, if you were they guy that came over to Pats house with tools and equipment trying to help resolve the issues the motor was having before it died.
Pats condusending  post rubbed me wrong. And my dad could be a pain in the but. 
Are you still friends with Pat?

Rag’s 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic