TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1965 American 440

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 American 440
    Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 6:42pm
Recently found a guy on craigslist getting rid of what he said was a 64 american.  He didn't wanna crush it because it had very little rust, and he knew somebody could rebuild it.  I knew it was a 65 though because the chrome goes all the way to the back.  Regardless... it was packed full of extra parts and the guy brought it over 200 miles to my house for me all for $400.

Here's what it looked like in the ad...

65 American
67 American
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 6:58pm
I got it in my shop... stripped the interior, wire wheeled the rust off of the roof and roughed up the floor so i could coat em.  No rust whatsoever on the floors or trunk Thumbs Up.

Once the interior was cleaned up, i focused on the motor.  Rebuilt starter for $40 and borrowed the sediment bowl from my 62', picked up a $3 napa fuel filter.  Ran a fuel line to a remote gas tank, and she fired right up.  Runs like a champ... the guy I bought it from didn't know if it ran and he owned it for 2 years LOL.

Not sure what I plan on doing with it... I have too many projects right now.  Its just gonna have to wait.  But at least it's cleaned up and undercover in my shop.

there was a distributor and another thing that I don't recognize in the car, can anybody id them? I don't want to throw em away if it's anything amc.

Edited by kronik - Mar/18/2012 at 8:18pm
65 American
67 American
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 8:25pm
The last pictures show the brackets that go under the seat backs to make beds out of the front seats when they fully recline.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 8:46pm
ohh good thing i didn't toss those, they will come in handy at the drive-in Wink.  lol
65 American
67 American
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2012 at 10:23pm
This, and the 69 wagon on the way? Shocked  Somebody's got the Rambler disease! I can recognize it, I have 6 myself! LOL  Nice save BTW!
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 11:37am
I've decided to try my hand at body and paint work.... The 65 is getting a fresh coat.  There was a few dents here and there, some rust on the cowling.  But I have gotten those taken care of the last couple weeks.  I am now knocking all the surface rust down and getting it ready to prime.  I will post some pics after I put in some more work on it today.

As far as color goes, I'm mixing my own custom paint with a variety of ghost and metallic kandy pearls.  It's gonna be a kandy apple red with a black pearl top.  The 440 trim on the side will be replaced with a black ghost pearl stripe.
65 American
67 American
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 11:58am
Man, my arms are burning just looking at all the rust you knocked off the underside of the roof. Looks like it was worth it. Floor pan too. The car looks very solid and all it needs is cosmetic work. What motor is in it? Glad to know it runs. That's a huge money saver there.

Edited by ramblinfsj - Apr/13/2012 at 12:00pm
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2012 at 4:17pm
It has a 232, which seems to run pretty strong.  Hopefully it will be dependable on the road since i'm going to all the trouble to paint it.  I need a gas tank for it though... I'm thinking about modifying a 69 wagon tank to fit since my wagon isn't going anywhere soon (filler tube re-location).  Well anyways... lunch time is over, back to sanding the car
65 American
67 American
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 9:40am
What wrong with the gas tank? My 65 had the nastiest old gas you could think of. I pulled it from the car, poured about a gallon or so of muratic acid in it, sloshed it around, then flushed it with water. It was as good a new after that. If it has some holes in it, a radiator shop should be able fix it.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
kronik View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kronik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 12:26pm
I think the gas tank was damaged when the car was pulled from a ditch or something.  They hooked the cable to the rear axle and the tension on the cable dented the tank so bad that it's creased it and it has a hole now.  I think that's why the car was parked years ago.  That's just my guess though... it was the previous owner.  Fixing it at a radiator shop would be cool, but i'm pretty strapped for cash right now.  I haven't started cutting the wagon tank yet, but it's on my workbench!  I don't need it done right away so we will see what happens.  I might just end up seeing about finding another one, i would like to NOT start robbing parts from the wagon i just got.
65 American
67 American
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic