TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine mystery????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2012 at 8:26pm
Right on....most amc's are still stock with stock position dizzers so that works in all those cases.
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

aussie rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 6:24am
hey guys ,
 for the last month my 232 has had the same type  of symptons , its  starts easy ,runs fine then starts to run rough, missing etc after say 2minutes .the once warmed up clears itself till the next mornin,or if the car has coooled right down ..... then it will do the same again.Confusedthis is wot i have done ....checked for vacumn leaks on the manifold, replaced carby base plate +gasket, cleaned carby out , checked the vacumn wipers, checked the fuel lines/filter, checked removed fuel pump, everything still check s out fine , but car still runs like a dog , replaced points/plugs/ removed dizzy as was not advancing timing enough , checked vacumn advanced unit ....replaced pvp valve/air cleaner/ ..car still runs  ok, but will miss and fart starve for fuel etc.Confused...so i removed all the useless smog pump set up ....no change...., i pulled apart the the auto choke unit , no change , checked float level , put another set of points in it , removed rocker cover and inspected while running if the lifters  are "pumpin up " and not leakin down , all are running correctly .Angry...all fine ......so after around 3weeks of chasin this problem tonight i think i have found the problem .....a dodgey /crap/faulty /sic......coil..Smile..bloody mongral!!!! the car now runs like a clock......everything is fine touch woodWink...
bloody mongral bastard ramblers....lol..
huddy1955 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huddy1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 6:55am
Hmmmm..... Touch wood.Smile      Good luck with the coilWink. I've got a car trailer if you need it mateLOL. I may need a 66 parts car soonBeerBeer
1955 Hudson Hornet Custom
1963 Rambler Classic 660 wagon
1969 AMX 343 auto NO# 09 of 24
1973 Rambler Matador Wagon 360
1985 Jeep J20 pick up 360
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic
plenty of parts cars
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 7:02am
Originally posted by huddy1955 huddy1955 wrote:

Hmmmm..... Touch wood.Smile      Good luck with the coilWink. I've got a car trailer if you need it mateLOL. I may need a 66 parts car soonBeerBeer

i fixed the heater Big smile......and i didnt use the heater tap i bought off you todayConfused......bloody ramblersLOL
PrerunnerScout View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrerunnerScout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 10:01am
Not sure if you've already done this but- My fathers Ramcharger showed your same initial symptoms a while back so I replaced the fuel pump and after 2 weeks same problem- The cheap new fuel pump was DEFECTIVE- Replaced it w/a better quality one and has had no problems since.  
73' 2wd Scout halfcab
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 1:18pm
Well, at least you know everything else is in good shape for the next few years!! 
Frank Swygert
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Thikstik Thikstik wrote:

Did you look at the wires going to dizzy..the primary wires that is.  The ones that feed the coil  and go into the dizzy and connect to the points? Could have insulation breaking down and grounding out inside dizz.  Also how about the b+ wire to the coil. And it could be the coil itself. 
OK , i just had to pat myself on the back, and since its fixed I think i will go touch wood now.LOL
But then, that was about Rambos car...so rambo are you gonna try a coil.

Edited by Thikstik - Apr/30/2012 at 1:32pm

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 4:26pm
We say "knock on wood" over here. I think you caught a few Americans off guard when you said "touch wood".... they may have had other thoughts and wondered about you...
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2012 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

We say "knock on wood" over here. I think you caught a few Americans off guard when you said "touch wood".... they may have had other thoughts and wondered about you...

LOL...you guys are funny!! ha ha !..its not my  fault you guys dont understand proper englishLOLLOLLOL

.....so i tookout the rambler this morning , and stuff me Angry, it did it againAngry, im REALLY  gettin #%@# off ! AngryAngry any ideas guys????

ps , this mornin i just changed the condensor , again , and put a new dizzy cap ,at this rate that 350 chev /turbo 400 i have may look really good in the engine bay ......Confused

ps ..serious im thinkin of replacing the lifters ,wot do you think???
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 3:50am
Wow, you must e ready to run it off a bloody cliff.  Have you checked manifold bolts? or sprayed carb cleaner looking for vac leaks?

AC/PS/PDB.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic