TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine mystery????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aussie rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine mystery????
    Posted: May/05/2012 at 8:48pm
Well today i have done sum cruizin, went to 2 swaps meets with the 66, NO PROBLEMS!!! it drives so nice espeicilly on the freeway ,im happy, still cant believe one wrong coil gave me so much greif!

bloody ramblersLOL
bloody mongral bastard ramblers....lol..
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 1:54pm
Glad to hear it.  Hopefully the blood will wash off ok.
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 9:03am
Well, it's not just Ramblers! Any car will run like crap until it's got the right parts. The coil is easy to miss. GM used internal resistor coils for the most part, Ford and Chrysler an external ballast resistor. AMC used either Ford or GM based electrics, depending on year/model/engine. Just keep them all the same and you're good! 

I know there are a few exceptions, like the Prestolite electronic ignition used in the late 70s, and there are exceptions with the GM/Ford internal/external resistors, but in general... just watch out for the exceptions!

Unless you're just fascinated by points I'd replace those buggers with a Pertronix unit. No more burned points, more consistent fire, and you can run a hotter coil and a little more plug gap. Plugs will last longer and you'll get 1-2 mpg better on average. You'll also have more consistent power as the electronic unit doesn't wear/burn over time and have to be tuned every few months (depending on how much you drive it). You won't get more power than you will with fresh points just set correctly, but 2500 miles later you'll still have that power, whereas with points you may lose 5-15 hp (depends on how much they wear). Not real noticeable since the loss is gradual, but that extra mpg will help in the long run, and that little extra power might...
Frank Swygert
huddy1955 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huddy1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 8:38am
Bloody RamblersBig smile
1955 Hudson Hornet Custom
1963 Rambler Classic 660 wagon
1969 AMX 343 auto NO# 09 of 24
1973 Rambler Matador Wagon 360
1985 Jeep J20 pick up 360
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic
plenty of parts cars
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2012 at 7:58am
Originally posted by aussie rambler aussie rambler wrote:

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big smile
POSTIVE NEWS!!!!!!!  Big smile..........................................................  F/ME..... there is a godSmileSmile

OK , so tonight the car is running like a dog once it warms up , and now the lifhters are rattle so so bad.....now this sounds crazy ....but ....after i just got the car i changed as per usual , plugs ,oil/filter, points , car ran great then go worse, the alternator died ..i replaced it , but the car started to run like a ol junk yard dog.....only once it warmed up , backfiring etc....if i turned the car off when hot ,it would start up straight away , run perfect for a couple of minitues the splutter and backfire....so this is wot i did
check for vacumn leaks  on manifold titghted it /tested /tightend again
checked /pulled off carby ,changed base gasket as was a bit dodgey ....
checked vacumn wipers
replaced petrol pump- filter
replaced dizzy cap /leads/coil /capositor
replaced  /removed smog pump set up , installed new air cleaner set up
BUT  car still runs like a pig ........Confused.so
i then removed cleaned rocker gear as seemed to have bugger all oil supply , thus maybe lifters not workin properly???, ..........car is now running bad only when warm........check cam lift etc , valve gear still noisey and car backfiring /poping ..Ouch.......burnt valve?????,,last resort...,off with the head i think ..............as per last post ..................

LATTER TONIGHT Wink,  my brother comes over and when go threw everything from step one .....gunna be a long night ....everything is looking normal as the car is still running bad bad bad ,.......we get to the dizzy new cap /leads etc and BUGGER ME  the points look like they have been NUKED!  like the plastic is melted! dead /finished /el caputto...Dead..and they are only 1 week old Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, hello hello ,hello ......we threw in a new set of points , the car now runns PERFECT!!!
!

BUT WHY ARE THE POINTS MELTING????? ConfusedConfusedConfused that is my question??? .....so we havent worked this out properly as our multi meter is at my brothers car yard ....a job for the next day ....Have you got a idea or wot to look for??? im thinkin something is weird as problems only started to happen after i changed the  orignial motorall a alternator .as it stopped chargin......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

We now attack the noisey rocker gear , i t is not gettin enough oil .....plenty of oil pressure , i clean ed the rocker gear already and cleaned the oil gallery etc on the second rocker bolt at the back, i didnt do the head bolt as i dont have a lathe and was intending todo it at my mates place who has a lathe ......well off came the 3rd rear head bolt ,  and we thought  "well %#$^ it" straight on the bench grinderShocked, and grinded a big chunk off the sides Shocked, ........cleaned the bolt , sprayed carby cleaner  down the bolt hole +oil passage ...used a bit of fence wire , more carby cleaner......threw the head bolt back on ...and stuff me mate , there is more "texas tea " coming out of the oil gallery than ol "jed clampets backyard"...Big smileBig smileLOLWink......no more rocker noise /goneBig smile .......unbelieveable Big smile......im excited ...Big smile

bloody ramblers !!!!Wink

tonight i have successTongue, after replacing just about everthang..on the motor ..it looks like the culprit was the wrong coil fitted , a coil with a built in restitor was fitted and "wammo" perfect idling car , that now can do 70mph in second gear with out to much problems ......the motor purrrrrsss , is resonsponsive , and is quite  i really cannot believe it , its almost like i changed the motor.....all because of a wrong coil......jezzzz it was really frustrating  at times  but thanks to everyone that helped me with clues/ideas wot to look for  Big smileBig smile the rambler is all sorted and on the up side of things everything on the motor has been replaced so the car should give me now truble free cruizin!Wink

bloody coils Shocked
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 5:12pm
 thanks mate ! will check all that out ,probably tonight , the points i bought recently are ol stock from the 60's bought about 20sets ....lucky heyLOL,, from good ol ebay.........petrol down here is about $1.49 a litre for "E10" which has ethno in it , it is crap /rubbish ..never use it Dead, preminum 98 octane i bought one the weekend for my 60'dodge cost me $1.64 per litre.......there are about 4ltrs to 1 gallon, so you get the drift..im lucky my daily cars run on lpg  which is only about 77cents per ltr

bloody ramblers ......yeh there okLOL
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 10:28am
Make sure your coil wire polarity is correct...even if thats wrong,  that still shouldnt burn up points that fast.  It sounds like a combination of chines points and no resistor wire. I havent put in points yet that were chinese, but my god, i know the quality has gone down on the point set i last bought 8 years ago and they probabably wer still american.  It sounds like a  straight 12-14.7 volts is going to points when in running mode.   To check, you could prevent starter from turning by taking big wire off starter, connect  VOM to coil and activate ign switch and look for   the full 12 v during full key stroke, then less volts at run mode.  Fix that bloody thing...hey, how much for 89 octane down under?

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 7:22am
NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big smile
POSTIVE NEWS!!!!!!!  Big smile..........................................................  F/ME..... there is a godSmileSmile

OK , so tonight the car is running like a dog once it warms up , and now the lifhters are rattle so so bad.....now this sounds crazy ....but ....after i just got the car i changed as per usual , plugs ,oil/filter, points , car ran great then go worse, the alternator died ..i replaced it , but the car started to run like a ol junk yard dog.....only once it warmed up , backfiring etc....if i turned the car off when hot ,it would start up straight away , run perfect for a couple of minitues the splutter and backfire....so this is wot i did
check for vacumn leaks  on manifold titghted it /tested /tightend again
checked /pulled off carby ,changed base gasket as was a bit dodgey ....
checked vacumn wipers
replaced petrol pump- filter
replaced dizzy cap /leads/coil /capositor
replaced  /removed smog pump set up , installed new air cleaner set up
BUT  car still runs like a pig ........Confused.so
i then removed cleaned rocker gear as seemed to have bugger all oil supply , thus maybe lifters not workin properly???, ..........car is now running bad only when warm........check cam lift etc , valve gear still noisey and car backfiring /poping ..Ouch.......burnt valve?????,,last resort...,off with the head i think ..............as per last post ..................

LATTER TONIGHT Wink,  my brother comes over and when go threw everything from step one .....gunna be a long night ....everything is looking normal as the car is still running bad bad bad ,.......we get to the dizzy new cap /leads etc and BUGGER ME  the points look like they have been NUKED!  like the plastic is melted! dead /finished /el caputto...Dead..and they are only 1 week old Shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, hello hello ,hello ......we threw in a new set of points , the car now runns PERFECT!!!
!

BUT WHY ARE THE POINTS MELTING????? ConfusedConfusedConfused that is my question??? .....so we havent worked this out properly as our multi meter is at my brothers car yard ....a job for the next day ....Have you got a idea or wot to look for??? im thinkin something is weird as problems only started to happen after i changed the  orignial motorall a alternator .as it stopped chargin......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

We now attack the noisey rocker gear , i t is not gettin enough oil .....plenty of oil pressure , i clean ed the rocker gear already and cleaned the oil gallery etc on the second rocker bolt at the back, i didnt do the head bolt as i dont have a lathe and was intending todo it at my mates place who has a lathe ......well off came the 3rd rear head bolt ,  and we thought  "well %#$^ it" straight on the bench grinderShocked, and grinded a big chunk off the sides Shocked, ........cleaned the bolt , sprayed carby cleaner  down the bolt hole +oil passage ...used a bit of fence wire , more carby cleaner......threw the head bolt back on ...and stuff me mate , there is more "texas tea " coming out of the oil gallery than ol "jed clampets backyard"...Big smileBig smileLOLWink......no more rocker noise /goneBig smile .......unbelieveable Big smile......im excited ...Big smile

bloody ramblers !!!!Wink

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussie rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 4:15am
yep im over itOuch , BUT  i will not let no bloody rambler engine beat me !!!!!!,Angry been on it just now, yep i tripled checked everything  , even 'phoned a freind' for advice....do i put in the s/b chevy ...nup , the car it way to original...(and you guys would ex-communicate meLOL).......well i just  had it running with no rocker cover ,sum crazy noise on no.1 cylinder , soundss like the second lifter has been chewin nails..DeadOuchCry..and a high piched noise like when ya run ya fingers do a chalk board....(so you catch me drift it sounds like dog pooh!).i thin k its  time to take the head off, S.O.B,Angry  ol cars are supposed to be relaxing .....f/me..Big smile.. all this work on a 6clyinder....Confused.....oh well lucky i have 5 other fully registered cars to drive Smile....................the triolgy continuesLOL

bloody ramblers!Wink..................never had this problem with my "other " quality made in usa cars(dodge+chev)Evil Smile....

ps ...................................................................bloody ramblersWink
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 3:50am
Wow, you must e ready to run it off a bloody cliff.  Have you checked manifold bolts? or sprayed carb cleaner looking for vac leaks?

AC/PS/PDB.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic