TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone used Tung oil on car body?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone used Tung oil on car body?
    Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 1:58pm
I'm new to working on cars so bear with me...

I had an idea for inhibiting rust and coating paint and wondered if anyone has tried it or what your thoughts might be.  I am foremost a woodworker and know the wonderful properties of 100% Tung Oil (not the varnish stuff).  It creates a polymer bond when dried which waterproofs, beautifies, and on tools it inhibits rust.

My other inspiration for putting a polymerizing oil on a car comes from the cast iron cookware I use.  I have gotten a few pieces of rusty old cast iron, soaked them in cooking oil and left them in the oven at around 400 degrees for a few hours.  The rust magically disappears and the pot/skillet turns black.

Any thoughts on rubbing tung oil on your car's paint (I'm specifically talking about old cars with original paint - more of a rat rod than a restoration, but I'd also love to hear thoughts on modern paint)?  Also thoughts on stopping rust by putting the oil on slightly rusted areas?
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 2:02pm
The rodders use a product called Gibb's Oil....
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 4:12pm
Gibbs oil is good stuff. Expensive something like $8 for 2 oz.

Tung oil. Never thought of that for rust. Not sure on existing paint?
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 4:33pm
If you are trying to remove rust and leave remaining paint then you need to check in to Ultra One Rust Remover.  It's the best rust remover around, and can be used on a fully assembled car.  It doesn't hurt things like paint, rubber seals, trim components, or plastics. 

http://safestrustremover.com/

It's expensive (about $80-100 for 5 gallons of fluid) , and a somewhat complicated procedure, but, it works really well.  You may remember the Belvedere that was recently in Hot Rod after it was unearthed from its' time capsule in a rusty state of disrepair.  They used this product to remove the rust, and "restore" the car.   Check out the procedure. 

It is odd setting up a car on a tarp or in a kiddy pool, then running garden hose with a recirculation pump, but, you can't argue with the results.

As far as sealing, and prevention of further rust, that's a completely different discussion, and your options are endless.  BUT, if you are going for that patina look, and trying to save a cool old paint job while eliminating existing rust, this stuff is the best place to start.

EDIT:  Check out the procedure, but, I wanted to state that you need to evaluate your existing paint before deciding to use this stuff.  If you have large areas of surface rust you need to realize that most of the area is going to be converted to bare metal when using this product.  If you treat smaller areas you will just get lighter colored spots that look faded.  Those can then be treated a number of ways to prevent further rust while keeping the desired look.

Edited by smoke - Feb/26/2012 at 4:40pm
Wildfire View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 4:45pm
I'm not really looking for other alternatives, I know there are a million out there. 

Cost is a factor for me. Though Tung oil is a little on the moderate-expense side, rather than cheap, as a woodworker I always have it around.  It would be great to have it do double duty.

Then there's the fact that it is 100% natural and 100% eco-friendly.  This may not be a top priority to everyone, but it gives me peace of mind that I am doing what I can.
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 4:58pm
Never heard of anyone using Tung Oil... Boiled linseed oil, Kerosene, other random oils, Gibbs, Tons of wax, and other stuff, but, never Tung oil.

Try it on the bottom of the rocker, and observe, that will tell you what you want to know.  As far as it preventing further rust..... it won't.  It may do a little to slow the current stuff but it certainly isn't going to stop it.  That's why the trad rodders strip them and paint them,  that's true preservation.  I understand wanting to keep the old paint, but, the fact is the only way to stop the rust is to remove it, refinish, and repaint.  There is no magical way to freeze a rusty car in to looking the way it does forever.  Not without severely changing the appearance.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 5:10pm
  Just because something is 100% natural,  doesn't mean it can't harmful.  Ricin is 100% natural too.

Tung oil got plenty of warnings on the can,  can be fatal if swallowed,  use only with good ventilation,  and yada, yada.

Also says not recommended for use over existing finishes,  other than penetrating oil finishes.

I use tung oil too, on wood.  It might work well on other materials too,  but you're way off on the safety aspect.

Edited by tyrodtom - Feb/26/2012 at 5:13pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Wildfire View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 5:30pm
100% PURE Tung oil, made from the nut of the China wood tree is eco-friendly.  If you get the stuff in the store that is labeled "Tung oil" but does not say "100% natural or pure Tung oil," then it often has thinners and polyurethanes added (actually, most "tung oils" in the store have very little tung oil in them).

Here is a quote of the tung oil I buy: "Pure Tung Oil was and is one of the first truly "Green" finishes. It is all natural and contains zero VOC's (volotile organic compounds).  VOC’s contribute to health problems, smog and noxious odors.  Tung oil is recommended by http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/GREEN/RES/cgrwoodfinish.pdf - Green Reports (click here).   Tung oil is naturally polymerizing and cures by oxidation, not evaporation.  Tung oil is FDA approved for food contact. http://www.access.fda.gov/s/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?FR=175.300 - Click here to see the FDA Reference."
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 5:58pm
Do you really trust that tung oil from China is !00% tung oil ? 
  They got a long reputation for diluting many products with sometimes dangerous mixes.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Wildfire View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 6:10pm
The name of the tree is called the "China Wood Tree."  That does not mean it is manufactured in china.  The company I buy from is a USA company that is reputable and has had their products tested for quality and purity.

If you really want to debate the Eco-friendliness or purity of my tung-oil lets do it privately. That way the thread won't be hijacked and we can continue to discuss the uses and pros and cons of Tung oil, which is what I am looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic