TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone used Tung oil on car body?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DavidSchnider View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidSchnider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone used Tung oil on car body?
    Posted: Feb/28/2012 at 11:12am
ever tried the http://www.hennekenautoservice.com - oil heating services bmw?
Wildfire View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2012 at 6:20am
Great thoughts guys.  Tung oil is known to penetrate, so if I do decide I want to fix er up all the way, I probably shouldn't use oils.  My first task will be pulling her out of the barn and cleaning off the inch of dirt that is on her to see what kind of shape she is in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47021329@N04/6931373909/in/photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/47021329@N04/6931373909/in/photostream
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

what will this oil do to what needs to be used like bondo, primers & paints?
Dave ----

Good point, and a problem that is encountered by many who use oils, and such to preserve paints.  It's often forgot how well those oils can seep all the way through the paints, and in to the parent metals.  I have a semi gloss painted vehicle that I've used Kerosene, WD40, and other various oils on to keep looking right.  The few patch panels I've added to it have shown just how far those oils can get all on their own.  I don't know the characteristics of Tung Oil, but, it's something that should be thought of for future problems.  I've found with enough cleaning, and prep it isn't a problem, but, it does take more work than if I didn't use those oils, and I haven't used any bondo, or "good" paint yet.LOL
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 8:00pm
I would also like to know what if you want to do the repair the right way what will this oil do to what needs to be used like bondo, primers & paints?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
73sprjeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73sprjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 7:45pm
[QUOTE=Wildfire]The name of the tree is called the "China Wood Tree."  That does not mean it is manufactured in china.  The company I buy from is a USA company that is reputable and has had their products tested for quality and purity.

If you really want to debate the Eco-friendliness or purity of my tung-oil lets do it privately. That way the thread won't be hijacked and we can continue to discuss the uses and pros and cons of Tung oil, which is what I am looking for.
] I agree  that the "eco-friendly" debate should go to a PM, so I won't comment on that. Rust is to metal like cancer is to cells. You can slow it down, but rarely can you stop it. Once it gets started it spreads and is very hard to stop. You can blast or grind it off, but eventually it will come back. Your only options then will be welding in a patch panel or replacing the panel. Just my 2 cent"s.
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

It does not seem that they are valued very high even when they are fixed up nice. 

I love the look of them fixed up, but I wouldn't want to sink a bunch of money into a car that may be worth half or even 4/5ths what is put into it.
  Not trying to keep the rusty look, just trying to avoid having to disassemble the car and have an entirely new paint job.

I isolated the areas of your statement that I want to focus on.   You are correct, unfortunately they do not return the money invested when it comes time for resale. 

THAT SAID:  you have other options for repairing the existing rust, and you really don't need to do a full paint job to restore it.  If most of the paint is good (as it sounds from your posts) you should seriously consider repairing the problem areas, and then painting those areas while blending in to the good existing paint.  It takes some experience, BUT, if most of the car is already in solid condition and looks good, it wouldn't take that much work or money to just repair those spots.  You would be amazed at the matches you can get to stock original paints these days, especially if you remove a small piece with stock paint, and take it to a good paint shop.  They can match you the color needed, and mix you up a couple of quarts for fairly reasonable.  Then you can use a blending technique (I've recently been learning a ton about this from RickAMX on here) with some pretty darn good results.  I know for a fact that many of the cars that roll across the Barret Jackson auction block claim things like "88% original paint".  That is because they had the exact same problems you do, and fixed them in the manner I just described.  Now, if you aren't experienced in doing this sort of thing, that's fine.  What better car to learn on than one that, unfortunately, doesn't have a high resale value.  Use it as a guinea pig, and you can learn a ton.  In the end you'll have correctly repaired it, and learned something.  May not be something to consider at this time, but, research never hurts, and you may learn that it is something you can attempt in the future.

Sorry for my long posts.  Hope it helps.
Wildfire View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 6:50pm
smoke - thanks that helps a lot!

I've got a 64 Rambler Classic 660 4dr that has sat in a barn for 20+ years.  Is it really worth it (financially) to do a complete restoration of the paint (or the car as a whole)?  It does not seem that they are valued very high even when they are fixed up nice. 

I love the look of them fixed up, but I wouldn't want to sink a bunch of money into a car that may be worth half or even 4/5ths what is put into it.

I'm not big on the "rat rod" look.  Not trying to keep the rusty look, just trying to avoid having to disassemble the car and have an entirely new paint job.
smoke View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 6:41pm
This may be a question better asked at a forum like Killbillet.com, or, any of those other rat rod sites.  I think Rebel Rodz has a decent forum too. I don't know many of them.  Most people on here remove the rust, and repaint the vehicle, so, this is kind of the wrong crowd.  I certainly haven't seen many people on this forum interested in keeping a worn appearance, this is more of a restoration sort of crowd.  A little advice: stay away from places like the HAMB, or any of the trad rod sites as they will string you up for your question.  One of the rat rod sites would be the best place, as they probably have the most experience trying to keep rusty things appearing rusty.LOL Wink

Another thing to consider is this; most people want to keep the old shabby looking paint on an old shabby looking vehicle.  It took years and years for it to look the way it looks, and that rust often takes decades to get the way it is.  No matter what course of action you take, at some point, to be done right, that rust is going to have to be cut out, and replaced.  Leaving it alone only means that you are going to need a larger patch panel when the time comes.  The size of the patch panel is going to be minimally affected by you trying to smear something on top of the already rust infected panel.  I enjoy the look of patina myself, but, I have seen many people ruin the look by trying to do a half hearted quick fix of the rust.  In the end, they aren't really doing anything to stop/prevent the rust, and end up ruining the patina they were interested in saving in the first place.  Look up clear coated patina paint jobs and you will see what I mean.  They all look like crap, and remind me of the clear coated foods you see at bakeries.   Most people would have just been better off waxing it and leaving it alone.
Craven View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 6:31pm
Jeremy, I use a product called Kramer's Antique Improver on the paint and surface rust on my 1930 Essex and I'm satisfied with the results. Of course it's a secret recipe and I don't know what it has in it...maybe you know. Perhaps some tung-oil? Adds a little shine to the original paint while darkening the rust. I don't know if it's preserving anything, but the car is never in the weather.

Hal
Hal Souers
Indiana
AMO Classified Editor

<font color=RED>In search of red Matador Barcelona sedan in EXCELLENT condition! [/COLOR]
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2012 at 6:29pm

I won't dispute what you say about the pure tung oil until I check for myself.

But it seems you're strongly advocating it's use.

If you want people to try it on auto paint,  you should first try it yourself.

Edited by tyrodtom - Feb/26/2012 at 6:34pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic