TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HEI distributor on Ebay...crap???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBELMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEI distributor on Ebay...crap???
    Posted: Mar/23/2008 at 6:39pm
Hi guys, I am considering buying a new HEI dizzy on ebay. They are new and dirt cheap. Has anyone tried one yet?? What do you think?? They are retailing for about US$69. At that price I guess they may be Chinese rubbish.
What do you think.Confused
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2008 at 12:42am
MC over at Bulltear bought a couple.  He said the machining on the shaft where it meshes with the oil pump interferes before the distributor is fully seated in the cover.  If you clamp it down, it puts pressure on the pump gear and pump cover.   The shaft is also smaller than AMC, so you can't put an AMC spec dizzy gear on them if you have a problem.

I'd stay away.

Bob
tufcj 
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2008 at 2:45am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

MC over at Bulltear bought a couple.  He said the machining on the shaft where it meshes with the oil pump interferes before the distributor is fully seated in the cover.  If you clamp it down, it puts pressure on the pump gear and pump cover.   The shaft is also smaller than AMC, so you can't put an AMC spec dizzy gear on them if you have a problem.

I'd stay away.

Bob
tufcj 

I had the same problem with an  new MSD to. this weekend
But the shaft is the same as AMC.

My thinking.
There is know such thing as a drop in distributor unless your lucky.
Always check to make sure the new distributor is not to tight when in and the hold down is tight and adjust if necessary.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Mar/24/2008 at 2:46am
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2008 at 5:15am
Always compare to a true AMC distrubutor. Quite often, you will indeed need to take a small angle grinder with a slightly rounded wheel on it and grind some more of the flat - make the flat longer. I've never had the shaft actually too long where it bottomed into the pump, meaning the flat too long but I've seen the flat too short - not ground up high enough.
I just take my little B&D angle grinder and make the flat part longer, CAREFULLY and smooth it.
You can't buy the new HEI componants that cheaply from even rockauto and put something together for that price, so that might be a clue as to quality.
I've "heard some things".
If you choose to take a chance, same advice as to any Internet sale - ask questions, get a guarantee in writing and find out about a return policy, use paypal or credit card.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2008 at 10:17am
I think they come thru with a Chevy gear on them. You pull the chevy gear & try to put an AMC gear on, that's where the shaft size difference comes in. The hole for the roll pin that holds the gear on is in a different place too. Steer clear of them!!!
REBELMAN View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBELMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2008 at 7:08am
Thankyou for your advice guys. The ones advertised are for "AMC V8's" in the add so one would think they would not require modification....strange.
REBELMAN View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBELMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2008 at 7:10am
I think I'll take Bob's advice.
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2008 at 7:40am
I got an HEI for CRT Performance for my 232 six cylinder and I am very pleased with it. I was leery at first about buying because of the issues I've heard about. I emailed the company and stated my concern about the problems other HEI units have. They 100% guarenteed me there wouldn't be any problems whatsoever or they would refund my money. That guarentee pretty much sold me on buying it. I recieved the HEI (with plug wires) in about a week and a half, installed it, and it fits and operates great. They now sell HEI units for AMC V-8's for $89.99 and shipping around $25. When I'm ready to dive into my '79 AMX, I'll be buying the V-8 HEI from them and maybe one for my Wagoneer too. http://www.crtperformance.com
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2008 at 4:55am
Mallory makes a very nice electronic conversion for Delco distributors for under $100 that does not require shimming like the Pertronix does although Pertronix is fine for a 6 cylinder or non high performance V-8 configuration.  You can get the Mallory conversion kit from Jegs or Summit and a variety of high output coils with very inexpensive shippping .
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic