TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 mild performance upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 mild performance upgrade
    Posted: Feb/24/2012 at 9:27am
I have a spare 232 that I may get around to overhauling. It has a 2V carb on it and I thought I might not mess with that. Can anyone recommend a mild cam and piston set upgrade. I was thinking about 9 to 1 pistons but am open to suggestions. I don't want to sacrifice smooth idle and hopefully can use the stock push rods. 

The only experience I have had in performance upgrades is from a Chev 250 that I acquired many years ago. I couldn't figure out why it ran so rough at idle and reeked of unburned fuel. I finally pulled the camshaft and changed to original and all the problems went away. I don't think the wild cam gave any more power than stock so don't want to repeat that mistake.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2012 at 10:54am
The Comp H252 or X4250 are good for a mild upgrade and work with stock springs. Comp recommends their springs for the X4250, but it WILL work with stock springs. If you want a bit stiffer springs go with Mopar Performance springs. Then just run a 2"-2.25" single exhaust with a decent turbo muffler. The chamber type (Flowmaster, etc.) are a bit loud for me, but that might be what you want.

You can shave the head for a small increase in compression, but you might just want to go with the 4.0L head upgrade. The pre 72 six might need a different pushrod, no one has checked it yet. The 72+ motor can use the 4.0L or 232/258 pushrods. The 4.0L head should give you a bit of a compression increase as well. I don't know if 258 pistons will work with the pre 72 232, I know they will with the 72+. 83-90 258 pistons give 9.2:1 compression with the 4.0L (or late 258) head. Not sure if the chamber size is more or less than your engine, you'll have to check.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic