TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Alternator Upgrade Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Upgrade Question
    Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 10:39am
Looking for some opinions here!
I want to upgrade (modernize) to an alternator with a built in voltage regulator. What is the most common (best) alternator to use, in your opinions. I'm looking for dependability as this is for a daily driver (70 AMX).
Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks
    Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 10:58am
Had the same question, and I found a lot of info here:

and some helpful parts-type stuff here

I eventually just bought a 3-wire alternator for a later-model GM something or other.  Most of the differences in the alternator part numbers is just where the wiring comes out on the back side.  There's a list somewhere on the web (sorry, can't find it right now) that gives all the model years to try to get the high output alternators off the shelf at the parts store.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 11:17am
The 10si is about as reliable as anything out there.
Use the 3 wire install.

I think I also have that list at home somewhere...........
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 12:00pm
I put a CS130 on my AMX. Put a thread up here a while back. Not sure it it still survives or not.

I wired mine into the factory harness, using a plug and terminals I got from American Autowire. My alternator harness now plugs into the car where the external regulator used to, and it even drives the alternator light on the dash properly. I just tied the original wires that went to the Motorola back out of the way.

I suspect that the increased amperage capability of the CS130 puts additional stress on the drive belt, as I have to keep it really snug or I get a squeal right after I start the car, as the alternator goes into full charge mode.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 12:23pm
The only extra wiring I had to do was to increase the size of the main wires from the alternator.  Otherwise, the factory wiring worked fine.

3-wire is the right answer, as said before.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 12:41pm
Ron your example should still be here...........
I think I found it - is this it?
http://theamcforum.com/forum/alternator-conversion-motorola-to-cs130_topic17485_post157397.html

There is also this which I BELIEVE to be technically correct ->
http://theamcforum.com/forum/wiring-a-gm-10si-or-27-si-into-amc_topic12493.html

whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Ron your example should still be here...........
I think I found it - is this it?
http://theamcforum.com/forum/alternator-conversion-motorola-to-cs130_topic17485_post157397.html

Yeah. That's it. Guess I deleted the pics. Probably still have them, if anyone is interested.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2012 at 10:01am
Thank you everyone!

That pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

Thank you all again for your help!!

Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2012 at 7:24am
I'm sorry we were able to help, we'll try to do worse next time.

Clown

Seriously, if you wish you can go through the posts here and click the "thanks" icon for those you found helpful. 
 Thanks (0) Thanks(0)

Not sure what we'll do with that in the future, but may be good for a forum bumper sticker or something one day............

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic