TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 71-74 Jav Window guide Bushings "No More Wobble"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Jav Window guide Bushings "No More Wobble"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 7:35pm

Quote and I am sure Troy will agree

I think you covered it all well. I'm always one for putting in improvements when possible and definitely in cases where you can still look stock but use newer tech.

I don't know what AMark uses for material, but the other vendor is using "bubble gum and plaster" for bushings (IMHO). Acetel parts in these new configurations have 4-5 times times the contact surface, better strength and better support than even the best original stock parts. So neh neh ne neh heh. :)

kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 10:26pm
Put me down for a set too.  My windows are a pain to roll up and down.
73 AMX Javelin PC
71SSTJavelin304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SSTJavelin304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 2:43pm
What is the width at the widest part where it bolts to the guide plate?

I'm thinking about buying 2" Acetal rod and turning it down with my lathe and then finishing by milling the shape and drill the mount holes by hand with a template.

I've got 3 javelins in need of some attention. Ouch

LOL
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 3:02pm
2" is too small
I bought 2.5" and will be machining a few sets soon.
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
71SSTJavelin304 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SSTJavelin304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 3:11pm
I was afraid of that, at least with the larger diameter there's more to play with and way cheaper than the 1" thick sheet.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by 71SSTJavelin304 71SSTJavelin304 wrote:

What is the width at the widest part where it bolts to the guide plate?

I'm thinking about buying 2" Acetal rod and turning it down with my lathe and then finishing by milling the shape and drill the mount holes by hand with a template.

I've got 3 javelins in need of some attention. Ouch

LOL
You would have to go 2 1/8 minimum. This project is not 100% dead. I am still trying to get the price for machining down to a reasonable level. I just don't want to give up just yet. No promises  but keep your fingers crossed.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2012 at 4:08pm
Did any of the major suppliers want to get on board and help out? How about PG Classics? They seem to offer some reproduction AMC parts now and might want to get in on an exclusive part.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Did any of the major suppliers want to get on board and help out? How about PG Classics? They seem to offer some reproduction AMC parts now and might want to get in on an exclusive part.
I did talk to one vendor who expressed an interest to resell them but wanted to see if I could get the costs down first.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
73pc4sp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73pc4sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2012 at 6:54pm
I would like a set as well.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2012 at 10:26pm
Ken, to reduce costs for mass production but still provide a much better product than what is out there have you thought about reducing the original stock to 1/2"? It would result in a faster mill time as well with less material to remove. Another methoed would be to use the acetal rod as original stock resulting in less waste in acetal and again reducing mill work to drilling your center hole and routering and drilling the lip. I am out of ideas for potential cost reductions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic