TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1967 Rambler American Drag Racing thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 5:59am
I had a 68 I think 4 door american with 290 4 speed with a/c..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2012 at 2:03pm
 All 67 , 68 , 69 , 343s were a Z on V/C  tag.  On 67s there were 7 VIN codes for the 343 , X was for the American only . On the 80 series Amb. there were 2  Q for 4 BBL. & R for 2 BBL. The 50 series Marlin  had 2 , a W for 4 BBL. & V for 2BBL. The 10 series Rebel also had 2 , K for 4 BBL. & J for $BBL.   Did you receive the E-mail
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2012 at 12:00pm
                                                                                                                                                                                                        This a quote from Larry Blatt on the drag racing link ;                          Lots of information, but some of it's not right. The 343 was not available in wagons, and they were X code, not Z code. But it's the first time I saw an actual production figure for the 343 Rogue. It's listed as 33.
Also, I never heard the term "Super American" used for the 343's. The Hurst shifter didn't come until mid '68, I think. Mine supposedly was the first with a Hurst shifter. They made the brackets special from a '67 290 Rogue that was trimmed like mine. It came from a Philly dealer, Northeast Rambler. A friend of mine was a salesman there and sent the car to Hurst Campbell in Warminster, PA, the Hurst factory at the time, for them to make a shifter for it. After it was made, my friend called me and told me I could get it for $37.50. The usual price was $100, and I jumped on it. Another friend of mine and I installed it. Worked much better than the Ford shifter. There was no heavy duty radiator. The heavy duty cooling system consisted of the seven blade flex fan and the shroud. There is only one number in the parts book for a V8 American radiator. Mine ran cooler than a similar 343 American without the heavy duty option. The only optional rear gears were 4.44 and 5.00. The others, 3.73, 4.10, etc. weren't available until 1968. They have different mounting bolts to the carrier, but they can be used if you drill out the holes. This is what I've been told by guys who did it.

I could tell you LOTS of stuff about the '57 Rebel. Suffice it to say that the Bendix system patents were bought by Bosch of Germany, they upgraded the system electronics with transistors, and the system first appeared on the '68 VW Type III Fastback and Squareback. I worked for a VW dealer then as a mechanic and asked to be sent to the FI school. They had their early "teething problems," but they made wholesale changes in 1970, and they ran great and were very reliable. I owned two of them used, a '71 stick and a '73 automatic. The systems were virtually trouble-free except for fuel line leakage. Great little cars. Smooth, reasonably powerful for what they were, and very economical. 

Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic