TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Intake and Exhaust Valve Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intake and Exhaust Valve Recommendations
    Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 6:36pm
Hi All,
Sorry for my ignorance. I am new to AMC's so I will probably annoy a lot of pro's out there for information.

I am in need of finding some good stainless valves for my '69 AMC heads. I am not looking for anything exotic. Does Manley make a good one peice replacment valve in stainless valve? I see these are 3/8 valve stems and my guides are excellent so I will stick with 3/8. I will also stick with the stock head diameter. Swirl poished heads would be ok by me. Again, just looking to see what is out there / available.

Any help certainly appreciated.

thanks,
Mark

Edited by ScrambledEgg - Feb/02/2012 at 6:37pm
ScrambledEgg
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 6:47pm
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 7:52pm
Thanks Hornet. I see the ones listed are for
four groove. I assume the factory valves are four groove as well. I am thinking of buying a Comp cam hydralic magnum series cam. These come with the 10 degree locks Comp part number 612-16. I think these may be single groove locks (I will have to call them to verify as thier website does not say one way or the other). IF so, I may need to find single groove valves.

Brand new in box performance stainless steel valves for your 1968-1991 AMC 390 401 360 all with aftermarket 1.68-2.02 head diameters.

8 P2907HPC  &  8 P2912HPC

Exhaust valves are:

• 1.68" head diam.
  • 3/8" stem
  • 4.90" length
  • .165" tip 4-groove 
  • EV-8 stainless steel
  • CNC-forged 1-pc design

Intake valves are:

• 2.02" head diam.
  • 3/8" stem
  • 4.899" length
  • .165" tip 4-groove
  • EV-8 stainless steel
  • CNC-forged 1-pc design

• Edited by ScrambledEgg - Feb/02/2012 at 7:53pm
    ScrambledEgg
    tufcj View Drop Down
    Supporter of TheAMCForum
    Supporter of TheAMCForum
    Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 8:39pm
    Factory are single groove.  I used those exact valves on my AMX.  I called them and they had the 4 groove keepers in either 7 or 10 degree.

Bob
    tufcj
    69 AMX
    74 Javelin AMX
    67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford
    AMC Nut
    AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 9:22pm
    Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Factory are single groove.  I used those exact valves on my AMX.  I called them and they had the 4 groove keepers in either 7 or 10 degree.

Bob
    tufcj
    Thanks Tufcj.

I was thinking the original valves were single groove. Thanks for verifying that. My understanding is that single groove are used for more severe applications. At least that used to be the theory. Not too familar with AMC's but I know Fords. The older Ford motors that used solid lifters from the factory (Boss 302, Boss 351) used single groove locks. The hydraulic line of lifter motors (Windsor 289, 302, 351W) and lower performance 351C such as the two barrel motors used multi grooves. Multi groove valves in the Ford line and probably Mopar line allowed the valves to spin as there was no gap between the locks (ie they fit loosely in the groove and this permitted better valve wear).

The single goove locks have an air gap between them clamping hard down on the valve stem - keeping it locked in place. It doesnt allow for better wear but who cared as they were hi-perf motors that would be taken apart sooner for rebuilt anyway.

I am not sure that multi groove valves are what I would want for the spring pressures involved - although not really all that much. Also, I am not even sure tha multi goove locks are machined. They may only be stamped steel that is heat treated. Maybe you know?

ScrambledEgg
    AMC Nut
    AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 6:49am
    I did some checking on-line and can't seem to find replacement valves that are single groove in stainless. I'll look around some more.

Not sure what to think as somebody out there must be making direct single groove replacement intake and exhaust valves in stainless. 

If anybody has a lead on such an animal, I would apprecate it.

thanks everyone.
    Mark

Edited by ScrambledEgg - Feb/03/2012 at 6:50am
    ScrambledEgg
    Class Guy View Drop Down
    AMC Addicted
    AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 9:11am
    AMC Nut
    AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 7:07pm
    Thanks Class Guy. I will give sivalves a call. I did find some made by Ferria that are listed for the small block mopars. These may fit the AMC 390, but not 100% sure.

CHRYSLER 318-340-360 (3/8)
    P/N       Head    stem    length    tip
    F6245  E    1.625       3/8            4.970         .225    15º Super Flo.
    F6249  I     2.020       3/8            4.980         .225     12º Super Flo.
    ScrambledEgg
    Ramzilla View Drop Down
    AMC Nut
    AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2019 at 6:36pm
    ScrambledEgg
    I know this post was in 2012 about 1969 390 valves. Looks like the only valves that I can find that will fit my heads exhaust 1.625. are these Mopar valves from Ferrea. The only thing is the length for intake is 4.980 more then stock 4.900
    exhaust is 4.970 more then stock 4.900. Will the valve train rockers be off center of valve tip if I use roller rockers. Can the valve stem be ground off that much? Motor is still in car working on suspension just trying to get a plan ready for when I work on motor. I know when I tackle motor I can mock up valve train to see how things line up. Or is there something else that can be done to compensate with head gasket. SI no longer has the 1.625 only 1.688. Did not want to cut new seats or replace them. Anyone can give their suggestions. Would like to do work myself without going to shop. Thanks in advance.
    PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
    AMC Addicted
    AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2019 at 7:10pm
    Ah man really?
    SI no longer offers those Valves?  well that's a bummer... Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic