TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Winch bumper for the Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winch bumper for the Eagle
    Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 8:04pm
Ever since I built the rear bumper with tire carrier, I've wanted to build a front bumper. Well, I finally made the time to do it. It took a few days but got it done. I didn't take many pics of the build like I did with the rear bumper so I can't go in as much detail.
I started with a piece of 1/4" steel that I had made for the winch. I believe it was 8"x 33 1/2" and a 4"x 33 1/2" piece
welded to make an L. I then took 2 24" pieces of 3/8x5" flat stock that I made the frame mounts out of. I removed the bumper brackets and installed the 3/8" steel to the unibody using one of the bumper bracket bolt holes, a steering box bolt on one side and  idler arm bolt on the other side. I also added 2 more 1/2" bolts that I drilled through the frame and sleeved. I bought premade recovery points that are made out of 3/4" stock. The rest is 1/8" steel. The winch is a 9,000 lb   Harbor Freight Road Shock that I got in a trade. I am going to upgrade to a Warn some day in the future.
I had to notch a little bit of the front valance for the mounts.

Here's my 79 year old uncle stick welding the 1/4" winch plate to the 3/8" mounts. All I have is a 120v welder and wanted to make sure the critical stuff was done right.

Here is the only place I ran into trouble. The steel moved during welding. I guess I got too much heat in that area. I will have to figure out how to fix it.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:03am
I LIKE! Thanks for posting this with the great pictures!
It's tempting to do that for my SX/4  Wink  but suspect I could not come close to that quality appearance.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 12:55pm

That turned out really good!

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I LIKE! Thanks for posting this with the great pictures!
It's tempting to do that for my SX/4  Wink  but suspect I could not come close to that quality appearance.

Bill, I've seen some of your work and would assume you can do it even better than I did. 

Today I took some time to fix the right side of the bumper. IT WAS BUGGING ME! 

Before:

I cut it right at the corner and then raised it up with my hydraulic jack:

I cut a piece of steel to fit in the gap:

After welding and grinding:

A little dab of body filler and some sanding and painting and it is fixed:

danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 1:32pm
When I read the title of this thread, I thought there's no way that can look good on an Eagle. Well, you proved me wrong- that looks great! I especially like the attention taken to mesh the sides with the body lines. Do you have a link to the pics from the rear bumper build?
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by danleym danleym wrote:

When I read the title of this thread, I thought there's no way that can look good on an Eagle. Well, you proved me wrong- that looks great! I especially like the attention taken to mesh the sides with the body lines. Do you have a link to the pics from the rear bumper build?

I don't believe I posted it on this site but here is a link to the Nest: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35492.0
I've lowered the spare tire 3" since taking the pics in that thread.

Edited by EagleFreek - Jan/13/2012 at 4:07pm

jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 4:08pm
Looks awesome! This was a very cool eagle to see at cordova!
-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 9:39am
The rear bumper/spare tire carrier looks great, too! I really like the endcaps on these.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Prafeston View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prafeston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 4:01pm
Just drove this car today. Thanks for stopping by Eaglefreek.

The bumpers look great. Like they were made for the Eagle! Well I guess they were! :) They did make it feel heavy though!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 7:02pm
Rafe, we need to find  you a daily driver so you can keep the miles off that beauty queen.

Edited by EagleFreek - Mar/01/2012 at 7:04pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic