TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Oil and oil filters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 5:23pm
The FSJ pans were not changed till much later.  The earlier ones at least to the late 70s used a car pan.  Thats why yours is like the blue one.  My original 1984 has a rear drain also so they didn't all get the side drain.  As far as the extra quart in the 327, I have not heard of problems with drainback in those engines that require it.  Other people here are more knowledgable with GEN.1 stuff tham myself.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 6:35pm
6 quarts and an ACDelco PF24 filter it is, then.  Thank you, everybody.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
cjthenoisemaker View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjthenoisemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2012 at 3:00am
Speaking of the oil filter and size, I am currently researching various WIX filters and trying to find the largest one for an AMC engine (which I found out that the I6 and V8 engines take the same) since what we sell is what I consider too small.
Setsuna - 1985 AMC Grand Wagoneer (R.I.P.)

Failure - WAS a 1984 Ford F150

Nodoka - 1987 AMC Grand Wagoneer: 360/727/NP208/Dana 44s
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2012 at 8:00am
You might be able to cross number the WIX to the Baldwin long version.

Baldwin B9 (long version)
Baldwin B39 (short version)
ACDelco PF24
NAPA 1258 (WIX)
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 6:24pm
So I just bought an ACDelco PF24.   About the same size as the as napa (Wix) filters I have been using. the good news is the anti-drainback valve on the Delco actually works! Wow, it's a rare thing for an oil filter to actually work properly... Unhappy

The holes on the base plate look pretty small, but I guess they're larger than the main oil gallery.

It also turn out this filter is made by Champion labs, INC.   The same guy who make the K&N filters.

I'm going to check out the Baldwins next, There are a few heavy truck suppliers here in Flagstaff that carry them.

I basically want to run the best filter I can buy.

Edited by FSJunkie - Jan/04/2012 at 7:11pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 8:26pm
On the Silver Bullet, I went a different route for the oil filter, well, actually the whole oiling system.  I used a Bulltear prepped timing case cover/oil pump, and just recently added Bulltears 534 Tri-flow oil filter relocation and dry sump pickup.  I have a Milodon roadrace oil pan with an external oil line, so I had previously used Milodon's external pickup adapter block and stock oil filter adapter in order to use the external line oil pan.  I needed to relocate the oil filter to a remote location, so replaced the Milodon block with the Bulltear 534 which is designed to allow remote oil filter and accepts the external oil line.  It has big CNC port matched  holes, which will allow more oil flow.  Then I switched from a conventional paper based filter to a K&P filter.  http://kandpengineering.com/
Here are a few pictures of the set-up and the filter.  I picked up 8-9# of oil pressure, but I don't know if it due to the filter or the Bulltear 534.  At some point, I'll substitute a conventional oil filter in place of the K&P and see what changes.
Check out the K&P website, the filter is very cool and has a lot of features that exceeds a conventional filter.  It's pricey at about $160, but will pay for itself over time.

Edited by Coloradoamx - Jan/04/2012 at 8:32pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

On the Silver Bullet, I went a different route for the oil filter, well, actually the whole oiling system.  I used a Bulltear prepped timing case cover/oil pump, and just recently added Bulltears 534 Tri-flow oil filter relocation and dry sump pickup.  I have a Milodon roadrace oil pan with an external oil line, so I had previously used Milodon's external pickup adapter block and stock oil filter adapter in order to use the external line oil pan.  I needed to relocate the oil filter to a remote location, so replaced the Milodon block with the Bulltear 534 which is designed to allow remote oil filter and accepts the external oil line.  It has big CNC port matched  holes, which will allow more oil flow.  Then I switched from a conventional paper based filter to a K&P filter.  http://kandpengineering.com/
Here are a few pictures of the set-up and the filter.  I picked up 8-9# of oil pressure, but I don't know if it due to the filter or the Bulltear 534.  At some point, I'll substitute a conventional oil filter in place of the K&P and see what changes.
Check out the K&P website, the filter is very cool and has a lot of features that exceeds a conventional filter.  It's pricey at about $160, but will pay for itself over time.
That is beautiful................awesome craftmanship.Thumbs Up
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 8:45pm
NAPA gold on my Jav 397 - and it has pressure almost as quick as it starts. No rattle.
HOWEVER, I had a mystery leak for a while (well, still do a little tiny bit around the pump area) and I spent a lot of weeks attempting to figure out where it was coming from. It was blowing back at highway speeds, a super fine mist, just enough so when you ran your fingers over certain areas, they felt "oily". After a time, you might get enough built up around the pump area it would drop off a bolt, but never much, just annoying.  It didn't do it around town much, just the highway, which made it harder to find because of the wind up front.
I finally got the most of it fixed when I ended up with the right circumstances adding up..... the NAPA gold filter had leaked around the seam. I changed filters and almost all the oily residue after hard fast drives went away.
Under the pressure of the higher RPM, apparently it was pushing past the filter seam just enough...... and never in town, even though the pressure isn't that much lower in my in-town driving.
Can't say I'd "diss" the NAPA gold over that one single filter leak, especially since it doens't let the engine "rattle" when it starts, but still, I've always liked the PF24 filters over the decades. Never a single issue with them, and years ago, they were a pretty heavy filter as far as can and base.

The early AMC engines didn't have a drain-back issue. Not that I ever saw in all the 287s and 327s we worked on in the classics and ambos. I had a 287 (same engine) in my Rambler - it was a VERY low geared rear due to the over-drive. After blowing several transmissions in auto-cross and a bit of racing around, I removed the OD and ran with a strait transmission (a stick) - that 287 REALLY wound up high when I took it on the highways. Never saw the oil pressure drop, nor did we have any customers ever complain. In fact, a few of the older customers got some pretty high miles on them and didn't exactly check the oil real often - they'd come in a couple quarts low and still be fine out on the highway. (just because they were old didn't mean they all drove slow...... some wound 'em up hard before they'd shift)

Edited by billd - Jan/04/2012 at 8:50pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 9:10pm
Has anyone tried Donaldson filters? They're another HD truck filter manufacturer. They make the top of the line AMSOIL filters.

Edited by FSJunkie - Jan/04/2012 at 9:11pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2012 at 11:37pm
Wayne, in such a beautiful car I can`t believe you installed your gauges upside down! LOL
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic