TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Taurus fan on a late Jav.,Not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taurus fan on a late Jav.,Not
    Posted: Dec/28/2011 at 6:13pm
Man, What a tight fit. Another 1/4", 1/2 would be great. Not sure it is going to work.
Has anybody attempted this in a later Jav.
It does fit in the radiator nicely with a little trimming.
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2011 at 8:49pm
Ermm what no pictures Question
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 6:34pm
Yes pictures Dave. I think it is going to work as far as fit. Well have to see if it will keep the car cool. It appears to pull a lot more air at idle then the POS fan and shroud I had on there. Which is where I had a heating problem.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Dec/29/2011 at 6:46pm
74 AMX, 401
A Turbo is in my future.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 8:00pm
You can trim the shroud to be a little thinner, but may have to use an aftermarket fan mount kit that has those through the radiator push-on mounts. Sort of like zip ties, but spikes with a push on washer. That's the only way I can think of to describe them! Any auto parts store with universal fans should have the mounting kit. That's what I had to do to get a Taurus fan in my Rambler with the 4.0L. It's as tight as yours! You can move the radiator forward though, I think. There's no way a six would fit in that bay, unless you have a lot of room between the firewall and rear of engine. The late Jav did have a 258 as the stock engine, so there has to be provision to move the radiator forward. Maybe someone with a six cylinder 71-74 can take a pic so you can see the differences.
Frank Swygert
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 8:35pm
I was considering a pro comp dual 12" fan kit for my 68 Javelin I think they will fit nicely and it comes with relays and temp switches etc. 
I read some mixed reviews so I am on the fence right now. They are cheap enough. I looked at Taurus fans at a junk yard at one point and the size difference was more than I wanted to get into. Pro comp or something similar is an option you might want to consider.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 10:55pm
Frank
I did find and use 3 of the zip tie type mounts on the shroud side,pictured.
As far as trimming the shroud down, I may have if the fan would allow, On this aftermarket fan , the center of the fan is about a 1/4" if that from the radiator as it is. The OEM fan maybe a little different.
This is not a junk yard fan, I didn't want to replace the motor any time soon, So I picked up a new aftermarket replacement fan Dorman 620-101. Maybe it will be trouble free for a while.

The radiator is as far forward as I can get it.

Jcisworthy
Be careful with a lot of these aftermarket fans , They will not do the job of cooling the car in the summer, when you need it most, It is hard be beat an OEM fan that has been tested to work.
Now days there is other fans that may do the job, After I picked up this fan, I was able to look at a wide range of replacement OEM fans on one of the auto part sites  and seen a few that may have worked.

74 AMX, 401
A Turbo is in my future.
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 5:25am
One of the reasons I have not tried the aftermarket fans yet is because some of the reviews said the cfm rating seemed optimistic and I have a centrifugal clutch fan set up from a Jeep Wagoneer on there now which works well. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 5:44am
I've got a junkyard Taurus pull in my car. Been in there since 2003 with no problems. The OEM fans are usually high quality units, the aftermarkets can be of lesser quality, but some aren't -- hard to tell!

Now you make me wonder how they got the six in there. If there isn't a lot of room between the engine and firewall the radiator support must have been moved forward on six cylinder 71-74 Javelins with different sheet metal between the radiator and grille.
Frank Swygert
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 9:24am
Fast on the setup you had before the swap how far was the fan blade tips from the shroud? From what I could tell from the pictures they look far like the fan was too small. Think they should be about a half inch from the shroud. It also looked like it was in the shroud too far, only half the fan should be in the shroud.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 12:06pm
Frank
(aftermarkets can be of lesser quality) Isn't that the truth, The junkyard fans are hard to come by here, you have to be Johnny on the spot here to get one. How much longer is the six, It should go in there, I pulled a 232 out of my 71 many years ago and put a V8 in it.

Dave
The parts that were on there were not factory parts, I think that is the problem I was having.  I never had problems with the factory setup on my 71, In steed of running down the right  fan and shroud I figured I would give this a try since I have the alternator for the job on the car already. Never hearts to free up some HP to.

The car was find going down the road, But don't sit to long at an idle.
I think the fan was the problem, The pitch on the blades maybe. That is what the guy said at the radiator shop when I had the radiator checked.
I will say that this Taurus fan appears to pull a lot more air, Well see if it is going to work.

I have to wire it now.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Dec/30/2011 at 12:08pm
74 AMX, 401
A Turbo is in my future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic