TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vacuum advance benefits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum advance benefits?
    Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 12:38pm

Not that it's gospel, but here's one literary reference that states
in the last sentence that Vacuum Advance helps keep the spark plugs clean.
Feb 2009 HotRod Magazine article "Setting Timing Curves".

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/setting_timing_curves_tech/

firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 10:24am
I use 91 octane,no ethanol. The guy that dyno's my engines said that I didn't need it and he's been right. On the dyno he's run it on 100 octane too. I only have manual trans. if that would make any difference.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 9:23am
then you probably have crappy gas in your area.
firefly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2011 at 4:12am

I don't run ANY vacuum advance on any of my AMC's and they run great.

DocCreer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocCreer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 7:24pm
Well in my experience with vacc advance is that lighter springs arent always better..when i upgrded my 232 to HEi i got a mr.gasket recurve kit and installed the new weights and lightest springs...it pulled away from lights very fast and smooth then....PING PING PING....so i took it apart and put the stiffest in the pack...still pinging...so finally i went to the junkyard and got fresh looking weights and springs from a wrecked gmc van...installed the GM weights and one gm stiff spring and one medium spring from the mr.gasket pack.So far Mileage has been creeping up..no more pinging,and more cruising power.Just dont use the Mr.Gasket weights.
61 American
82 eagle limited
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 6:54pm

Beg to differ, but respect the opinions of others.

Holley carbs, both 2-Corner and 4-Corner, have Secondary Idle Circuits and delivery.
2-Corner carbs have Secondary Idle Air Bleeds, Idle Feed Restrictions, and Discharge ports.
2-Corners have small Constant Idle Feed ports located just below the Transfer Slots.
Transfer Slot fuel for both Primay and Secondary is delivered from the Idle Circuit.
Drilling holes in butterflies is less than a good idea imho and should be avoided.

It is possible to achieve full combined Intial + Mechanical + Vacuum Advance.
if Vacuum is high enough, RPM's high enough, and the Initial is locked in.
Dialing in more Initial without also limiting Mechanical can result in too much.

Vac Adv changes Distibutor Phasing when actuated, Initial and Mechanical do not.
Initial Timing moves the housing and Point Plate "Switch" relative to the crank.  
Mechanical Advance moves the Rotor Button "Trigger" relative to the crank.
Vac Adv moves the Point Plate "Switch" relative to the Housing and changes Phasing,
that is it changes Rotor Button to Distributor Cap Post alignment at the time of firing.
Mechanical and Initial Advance do not affect or change Distributor Phasing.

Adjustable Vac Adv Cans fail to allow adjustment of the Full Advance vacuum level
except indirectly by mechanicaly limiting the amount of total Vacuum Advance
by means of a Limiter Sleeve or an Adjustable Travel Limiter Stop.
A Point Plate alone is unable to limit advance other than the wire lengths
from the pick-up and ground, and the Vacuum Advance Can rod.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 5:29pm

Already ate - had the most people ever in the house - Barbara's parents for the first time, and for the first time her parents met my parents and 2 fridges are still FULL after sending left-overs home with everyone. (and the cats stayed clear for the most part, except Yawnie who soaked up all the attention he could get by pretending to be cute and cuddly.)

69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 4:39pm
It just goes to prove that wherever you go, There you are.  This turkey is basted.  Deads birds tell no tails.  Happy turkey day.  I'm eatin!!!!!Cheers!
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 4:13pm
The late '70s Prestolite distributors ran manifold vacuum because they operated backwards (advanced with spring power when the vacuum dropped off)
17tamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17tamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2011 at 4:09pm

The tech article from the GM Engineer has been hashed out here so many times it is boring.  So much of it has been proven wrong over the years and some of the theories are based on wrong assumptions.

The argument about ported vacuum and manifold vacuum is decades old and most OEM’s went with ported and Chevy went with manifold. The antique cars that used vacuum advance first went with ported vacuum.

I for one will stay with ported vacuum on all of my old cars for both street and strip. Why, because it works. It doesn’t bother me if someone has their car set up with manifold vacuum.  I like the fact that my car runs the way it does when I get on it and how good the throttle response is when I get on it hard. Not everybody has the talent to set-up their ignition and fuel system correctly to get the peck performance that their engines are capable of.

I would say try it both ways and see which works best for you. I am tired of the arguments.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, it’s time to go eat some Turkey and drink some spirits.

Kirk P. Fletcher
70 AMX BBG w/Shadow 390 4sp
71 SC360 Wild Plum Ram Air 4sp
67 Rogue Convert 343 4sp
66 Rogue Hardtop 290 Auto
66 440 Convert 232 Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic