TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rambler rearend swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rambler rearend swap
    Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 9:35pm
I have a 68 american that I am putting a 360 in. I am thinking about doing the popular explorer 8.8 swap. The question I have is what has to be modified to make this swap. I am not sure what to do about the pinion offset that the 8.8 explorer rear end has. Any other issues I may have?
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2011 at 9:57pm
contact Bob Wilcox  67roguexcode.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
67RogueX-Code View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67RogueX-Code Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 12:46am

....everything you'll need to know, right here:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/88-explorer-rear-for-my-67-rogue_topic26362.html

And let me know if you have any questions.
Bob Wilcox

67RogueX-Code
68amx1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/11/2011 at 7:36pm
Thanks, I guess it's not a simple bolt in then.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2011 at 12:14pm
A 93+ Ranger axle is 1.5" narrower than an Explorer axle and would be a better fit. If you can find a 91-92 Ranger 8.8 axle (only in 4.0L models) it's 3" narrower than the Explorer axle, but the 8.8 was only used in a few models, mostly commercial chassis trucks.

Instead of narrowing the 93+ Ranger axle you can order deeper offset wheels to compensate for the width. The angle of the driveshaft due to the offset diff won't matter. You'd still have to move the spring saddles, but that's all. You're limited on what wheels you can run, but Weld makes several in deep backsets, such as the Drag Lite I run on my Jag IRS (5.5" backset 7" wheels to keep from narrowing the axle).
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 8:12am
Frank,
   I found a short snippet on another forum ( I did not know there was more than one?)
It stated that the 8.8 is fairly common with either V-6 in extended cab trucks.
   I've not had a chance to sort this out to see if it is true.

I could kick myself for not investigating the Ranger with a REAL tilt.dump bed that was on Craigslist in Pittsburg, Pa a year or so ago. IIRC they were only asking $3500 and it looked solid.

Oh, I just ran a quick web search for 3 1/4 spring saddles/perches to fit the 8.8" and Curry was cheapest at $19.99!

Some of the offroad places want $30 and up for a pair. (maybe they are heavier due to off - roading though?)

Edited by Wrambler - Nov/14/2011 at 8:21am
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 8:14am
The 8.8 is in trucks only with the 4.0 V6.   not the 2.8,2.9,or 3.0V6's
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

The 8.8 is in trucks only with the 4.0 V6.   not the 2.8,2.9,or 3.0V6's

That's why I said I had not sorted it out yet, figured someone would either know or look out for one in an extended cab while in the yards. Not that it would prove anything unless you had the codes with you to see if it was in there originally.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2011 at 10:10am
According to the Ford truck guys only the COMMERCIAL CHASSIS had the 8.8" as an option with smaller engines than the 4.0L. They are few and far between, and some may have dual rear wheels that are six or eight lug (and useless to us, unless the axles are changed... and they may be a different width than "civilian" models). I don't know if it was an option or standard, I'd assume standard on heavier payload models. Those chassis came from Ford without a bed, a box bed was usually put on them but some may have had flat or dump beds. Not likely to find one in a regular salvage yard. 
Frank Swygert
minimort View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 6:02pm
(Bringing this back from the dead)

Farna, what is the wheel surface to wheel surface width on a '64 Classic? I have a friend who is getting rid of a Crown Vic, and I was hoping to take the engine, trans, ecu, and rear end out of that, but not if it's going to be crazy wide.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic