TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Does DOT 4 Brake Fluid Damage Powder Paint?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does DOT 4 Brake Fluid Damage Powder Paint?
    Posted: Oct/17/2011 at 4:58am
Does anyone know if DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid damages powder coat/paint?

Thanks

Tony
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2011 at 8:08pm
 I did some checking it turns out DOT 3 can danage power coat/paint more so in the first few days after paint application if not wiped off right away. Eastwood's does sell a paint they claim is resist to brake fluid.

Tony
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2011 at 6:21am
I powdercoated the lid to my Javelin master, I plan on doing the entire master cylinder in the Eagle and Jav.
It's quite resistant.
I used Eastwood's clear on my differential and when bleeding brakes, and even when the bloody new stainless lines wouldn't seal, the fluid wiped right off, didn't impact their clear. Granted it was only there for a few minutes, but that was only a day after spraying the differential.
Over time - I can't say, but short-term, their clear IS quite resistant.
Powder, well, the lid on my master shows no issues after about 3 years.
Time will tell - as I coat the whole master, etc.
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 7:41pm
Billd
 That was the info I was looking for someone with positive results. I have some Eastwoods "Super Gloss Clear #10286" I bought to put over their Chrome HotCoat on a set of simulated exhaust rocker moldings. I did a test sample run of the chrome it looks great until the clear is applied then looks like run of the mill silver paint put on too thick, I don't have anything yet to finish the moldings that looks like anodize any ideas? 

Thanks

Tony
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2011 at 7:47pm
Anything you put over a "chrome" finish will make it look like "chrome" paint.
I really like their clear over other paint and finishes, though - as it does seem to "toughen" it.
I put that clear on my rear springs and differential housing.

You can either use their pseudo-chrome single stage, or use their chrome with clear powder over it for things you want chrome or near chrome look on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic