TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wagoneer "Camper Special"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73ambcoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wagoneer "Camper Special"
    Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 9:02pm
Well I'm working on it. She has some slight engine troubles now, but that will be history shortly. I stripped the back seat out and started to modify the back for a small camper. The length is 81" and the width is 43" between the wheel wells so a twin air mattress fits like a glove.

The aluminum strips work out pretty good for sliding in large ice chests and not tearing up the wood work. It is cooling off in N GA and the camping is in the near future. Of course we have a tent, but if the weather turns south we have a nice dry place to sleep.

I would love to see some more ideas of modifications to the Wagoneers for camping.

Thanks!

iagmc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iagmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 9:26pm
Love the boat can holders! Is the floor floating?
73ambcoupe View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73ambcoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by iagmc iagmc wrote:

Love the boat can holders! Is the floor floating?

Yes the wheel wells hold it in place going down the road. I can take the floor out within a matter of minutes and re-install the seat if needed.

The can holders were an after thought, but I said what the heck. Sitting on the back of the tailgate it's a good place to put a drink and not worry about spilling it all over the new flooring!
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2011 at 10:52pm
You may want to check out http://ifsja.org
fulsizjeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulsizjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 11:28am
Very Nice!  I have slept in the back of several Wagoneers over the years and can say they get the job done.  Cool  It will be more comfy without the rear seat mounts too!

This is my Camper Special project that got a reality check.  Too many projects and not enough time and money so something had to give.  Well, it was mine...  Just received final payment on it last week so it is headed to Texas soon.  The 360 runs but is worn out so I got a 401 for it and was going to get an overcab camper.  Now I have a spare 401...  Wink

Flint
73ambcoupe View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73ambcoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2011 at 8:59pm
I thought you sold that rig a year or so ago. Still looks like the same pictures from the FSJ board. Regardless that is a Camper Special.You could probably put a 2 ton camper on the back and never know it was back there :)
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulsizjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2011 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by 73ambcoupe 73ambcoupe wrote:

I thought you sold that rig a year or so ago. Still looks like the same pictures from the FSJ board. Regardless that is a Camper Special.You could probably put a 2 ton camper on the back and never know it was back there :)
It was for sale for about 18 months.  Struck a deal with another IFSJA forum member back in May.  The new owner just paid it off and is arranging shipment to Texas.
Flint
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulsizjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 7:57am
We have a full size air mattress we put down with the back seat removed.  Fortunately, we are both short and fit inside with the gate up if needed.  That is an easy way to go for a light overnighter.
Flint
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2011 at 11:00am
Very Cool, like the Eagle at NAMDRA home made back tent attached too.

What ind of wood set up did you use for the back area?  I have been contemplating this for my Concord T5 wagon, as the carpet slides arouond when loading and unloading at shows.  Then would need to do two part for the back of the seat to match.

Then in the overpall plan of things, that usually proves out to be a dream, anyone done or seen real wood on the wagons?  Thinking a good veneer could be used in place of the vinyl, but with all the prep and protection needed.

Appreciate the thoughts.
Richard
Love the camper special, another one I haven't seen before...
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2011 at 6:58pm
That wag needs curtains in the back.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic