TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Two or four post lift?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2011 at 7:04am
Im buying a 9000 # 2 post lift and Im using it for storage too
http://www.derekweaver.com/update/Pro-9F_2_Post_Car_Lifts_Product.aspx?id=16

Edited by amx409 - Oct/02/2011 at 7:09am
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 9:03pm
I have a two post. It's a Hydra Lift (made in Canada) model 28 "H" beam design. It's rated at 9,000 lbs. I picked it up used for $1,000. It needed a couple of small wear parts replaced to be as good as new. I took care of that, then sand blasted and repainted the entire thing. Total investment about $1,200.

A four post is great for parking on and is nice and quick for drive on drive off oil changes but... If you plan to really work on cars in the bay that your lift occupies, get a two post. A four post is murder in a one bay shop. It takes up a lot of valuable space. You WILL smash your head open on the runways and front cross brace walking back and forth from the car to the bench or generally working around the front of the car. You always have to duck  The other terrible thing about a four post is, working around the front of a car when it's down. You will be tripping over the runways and the posts are always in the way. The smaller the lift, the closer the posts to the car, making it worse. 

Here are a few pics of my two post. You will see what I mean about all the room around the front of the vehicle weather the lift is up or down.

I'm not busting on any four post owners. In my honest opinion, the two post has a much longer list of advantages.

Good luck, whichever way you decide.

azssamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azssamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2011 at 10:49am
Which ever one you decide only buy from a major manufacturer Rotary,BendPak, etc. Many of my friends bought the "cheaper one" and are sorry they did. Your life is worth more than the few hundred bucks you might save. Not sure if this has already been posted. You can check on the true rating of a lift and see if it is  ALI certified @http://www.autolift.org/ Used is a great way to save some bucks if you can get the instillation instruction manual and parts break down so you know your getting every thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic