TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

OBX headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBX headers
    Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 3:29pm
I have a full OBX exhaust on the 98 Altima, about 4 -5 years old and the welds are cracked around 3 of the tubes were they meet the flange that bolts to the head. They cracked between the weld and the flange, not between the weld and the tube.
  I contacted the seller about OBX's lifetime warranty and was asked if I sent the card in, of course I did. Obx says the seller should do the exchange, the seller says OBX will take care of it.
   I been busy so I am just driving it, they only tick a slight amount. Fit is stupid.
The 4-2-1 that we put on is flanged where the 4 go to 2 and they turned the flange in such a way you have grind a 1" by1" curve out of one of the webs on the block! All they need to do to fix it was flip the flange to 180* but they did not bother and they made those headers for a very long time.  They also have an A.I.R tube and they missed it by 2-3"s, You have to gently start the threaded nut and force the header to go down and align with the ports. Hoping the tube does not kink and the threads don't strip. Last you have to snap a web off the back of the Alternator for clearance.

No way would I buy a set at full price, even then I'd only put them on something that sees very limited use. They'd probably hold up better if wrapped and silicone painted, but that kind of kills the whole shiny thing.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Nickoli View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 3:14pm
I just put a set on my 02 F150 Lightning. They seem to have nice thick flanges and everything looked good on my set. The gaskets they sent were a JOKE so I bought a good set to use instead. They were a pain in the rump to install but so is everything on a Lightning.....
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by amcgearhead amcgearhead wrote:

I just looked at the feedback on their e-bay site,most of the negative I took time to look at was about poor quality,bad welds,wrong fit,and wrong lenghts.Click on their store policies and they suck too.Bye bye OBX.I guess the best junk China has is the ones they fish out of.I want my job back!!!!I'll check the threads.Thanks!!!!
That was the first thing I noticed in the Ebay ad!!! A good used set of Hookers with jet Hot coating would be my choice!
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 1:26pm
I have a set of OBX on My Subaru. They are O.K. but I think the quality of the Heddmans on My AMX are better.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 11:23am
Yep, sounds par. What's funny is, I see these headers seem to be popular with Corvette guys.

Lets see, I have a $900,000 car, I make 50 Billion a year, and I want $19.99 headers. Talk about penny wise and dollar foolish! Gave me a whole NEW opinion of Corvette guys. Dead

Edited by nda racer - Sep/08/2011 at 11:24am
amcgearhead View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 11:15am
I just looked at the feedback on their e-bay site,most of the negative I took time to look at was about poor quality,bad welds,wrong fit,and wrong lenghts.Click on their store policies and they suck too.Bye bye OBX.I guess the best junk China has is the ones they fish out of.I want my job back!!!!I'll check the threads.Thanks!!!!
1972 SST, 2001 MERC., 2008 CROSSBONES If it moves,it's going to break!!
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 10:34am
Here's a couple of threads on what the Chinese are doing.

Enough people complain about header leaks. I can imagine the quality these cheap Honda knock off headers are.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 10:22am
Oh yeah,Thank you very much for picture to compare by.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcgearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2011 at 10:19am
I sent two different e-mails,one to e-bay site and one to the obx site.The e-bay site responded only,"They will fit all gen2 and gen3 engines."That was it,with the word all underlined.No application for vehicle fit.Evidently they don't know or possibly worried about a copyright infringement.I may check on a send and return policy.I don't think I should be out anything though on a new part that might not fit.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2011 at 8:30am
Pipe layout looks very similar to the Hookers I have for my Javelin:

Edited by WesternRed - Sep/06/2011 at 8:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic