TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Neutral safety switch 1969 AMX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neutral safety switch 1969 AMX?
    Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 4:25pm
Getting ready to fire up rebuilt engine. Have three speed  automatic on floor. The starter will only engage when shifter is in neutral position. Is that right or should it also start in park? Have wire diagram and everthing looks good. Checked the neutral switch itself and found that in neutral position only will allow path from ignition to starter selonoid. Any ideas?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 4:50pm
Current go through when in park?  if not, then the switch is bad............
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 5:28pm
If you need a new switch, I have an NOS Factory spare...just let me know.  Thanks 

Ross Peterson
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 6:00pm
Try pushing further into Park while trying to start...... a two handed operation, see if that works.

If it starts in neutral the switch is probably OK  sounds like maybe the switch is out of adjustment.... there is a u shaped hoop  thats filmsy and gets tweaked over time. Pull the knob off the shifter and take the console off and you can see the switch and how it works and adjust it.

Edited by JD - Aug/16/2011 at 6:00pm
70MarkDonohue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70MarkDonohue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 7:20pm
Do you have any for a floor shifter.  70 or later.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 8:10pm
Exactly what year are you looking for??  1970 and 1971 use a different switch.  Just let me know and I'll get back to you.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Weevil View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 9:35pm
Thanks for the quick responses. I have access to the switch. So you are saying that in park current should flow through switch and activate the solenoid as it does now in neutral? According to schematic current goes from ignition through green wire through switch and to solenoid through green/tracer wire.
I will try starting in park and wiggle shifter around while in park. Thanks for info.
JD View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 9:49pm
Yes it should start in park or neutral .Try pushing in the release button in and then pushing the lever toward the front of the car ,further into park, and see if it will turn over.

The switch can be taken apart and inspected and cleaned and relubed if you find that the switch is actually not getting a good connection .Its just a matter of prying up some tabs if i recall correctly. 

Edited by JD - Aug/16/2011 at 9:50pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2011 at 10:06pm
Mine did that and it had to be "just right" in neutral to crank. A bit of adjustment of the switch, and I mean a BIT, was all it took. Make sure the transmission linkage is properly adjusted first - at times, it's actually the shifting linkage that's off due to wear, so the shifter isn't in the spot the switch is expecting. Make sure the linkage is spot on first, then adjust the switch.
You'll need to use the brake and like JD said, two-hand it for a bit while you test, but what I did was turn the key with one hand, and run the shifter through positions with the other to see where it cranked and where it didn't, and adjusted the switch maybe 1/32" of an inch, it's been fine since.
They arne't the most expensive or heavily built switches I've ever seen.
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2011 at 7:21am
I had a similar problem with the switch on the 1971 Javelin, with only ~43,000 miles I did not believe it was worn.  The grease had gotten hard and prevented the contact from closing, I cleaned and re lubed the contacts and it works great. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic