TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Correct gasket for Edelbrock Intake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct gasket for Edelbrock Intake
    Posted: May/15/2012 at 7:29am
I also had a problem with the air gap and no valley pan gasket.  I found that the fiber gasket (old stock Mr. Gasket fiber style) was too old or too hard to compress and fully seal the bottom of the intake runners.  This may be from a slight angle differential between the head sealing surface and the angle milled on the intake, but I did not measure it at the time.  Consequently, I was drawing oil through both the PCV and through the gasket at the bottom of the runners.  I put a pan gasket in place with the recommended sealer around the ports and the problem went away.
Bryan
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by fmahannah fmahannah wrote:

It turned out the real cause of my oil burning was rubber valve seals being squished every cycle because of the cam lift. Switched back to hard seals and that stopped it until I can have the heads done with positive seals and new guides.

On the intake I ended up using BOTH the valley pan and the gaskets, but it sure was not easy to get the holes lined up

My oil usage completely stopped with new valve seals as well, although I had cracked and worn hard seals replaced with the same.  And when I converted from 2V to 4V, I also used the valley pan with an Offy intake.  From the oil ghosting on the bottom of the old pan to the oil I lost through the bad seals, I'm a true believer in the ability of AMC engines to get the oil all the way up top.  There's no way I'd do an intake without using the valley pan gasket, it's just asking for trouble.

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 6:18pm
It turned out the real cause of my oil burning was rubber valve seals being squished every cycle because of the cam lift. Switched back to hard seals and that stopped it until I can have the heads done with positive seals and new guides.

On the intake I ended up using BOTH the valley pan and the gaskets, but it sure was not easy to get the holes lined up
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
darrylrae View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrylrae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 6:07pm
Hi. What was the final verdict if at all with the oil problem and the Air Gap? I am currently having the same problem. I used just the runner gaskets with no valley pan and it's burning lots of oil. This will be the third Edelbrock intake on this engine and each time I only used the runner gaskets with no issues. Had the Air Gap off twice now, can't find any issues. Everything seems to line up very well. I unhooked the PCV for about 5 mins. with no difference in oil consuption. Any thoughts?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 6:41pm

I did that with my 91 Cherokee with 250,000 miles, but saw some bad reports about it and not sure I want to risk it with the Javelin. I will probably get some of the detergent stuff recommended and try that though. I don't drive much and don't want to wait weeks to see if she stops smoking LOL

If you're concerned with hydrolocking the engine you can use the Seafoam in the spray can.  I guess a Techron treatment might also work in lieu of the faster (and more dramatic) Seafoam through the carb.  Either would help clear out any residues from oil that seeped in through the intake seals and let you move forward on it more quickly.  Good luck.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 5:48pm

I plan to run it down the road some every day until it stops smoking or I get tired of it and take it in for head work LOL.

One thing I did notice though was where before the center two cylinders on each side the plugs looked like they were washed clean, now they are starting to burn light brown like normal so must be heading in the right direction.

Thanks guys!  Will keep you posted

Brown plugs  Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 3:47pm
I did that with my 91 Cherokee with 250,000 miles, but saw some bad reports about it and not sure I want to risk it with the Javelin. I will probably get some of the detergent stuff recommended and try that though. I don't drive much and don't want to wait weeks to see if she stops smoking LOL
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 3:32pm

I plan to run it down the road some every day until it stops smoking or I get tired of it and take it in for head work LOL.

One thing I did notice though was where before the center two cylinders on each side the plugs looked like they were washed clean, now they are starting to burn light brown like normal so must be heading in the right direction.

Have you considered using some Seafoam through the carb to clean it out quicker?

fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 2:34pm

Edited by fmahannah - Aug/21/2011 at 3:19pm
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
irish13jeff View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish13jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2011 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by 69 ambassador 390 69 ambassador 390 wrote:

Your on the edge.  Glazed cyilnders from the oil.  Run it.
x2
That's not to bad,should be no more than 20% change beween the highest reading piston to the lowest reading piston. So just as 69 ambassador said "run it"...at worst case and the smoking doesnt stop you'll need to envest in a head job.Good Luck my friend and keep us updated on the outcome.
Please don't tell my parents I'm a truck driver..... They think I'm a piano player in a whore house...

http://www.legionofjeepers.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic