TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pleasant surprise on oil filter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pleasant surprise on oil filter
    Posted: Aug/02/2011 at 1:43pm
I just cut open the long overdue cheap oil filter from my Ambassador.  Over 10,000 miles on  Mobile 1 and only a little carbon and some very small wear particles in the pleats.  The real surprise was that the oil filter was actually a very excellent one.  All metal construction with a nice even pleat design.  There were a lot of pleats and it was more like a premium filter than the cheapest one on the shelf.  It had a good working drain back valve and steel tube down the middle with swedged together all metal end caps.  Appeared more like a K&N on the inside then a cheaper than Fram oil change deal freebie.  What was it? STP S25.  WOW.Shocked  I think they are under $4.00.  The crappy paper and toiletpaper tube Frams are more than that.  just thought i'd put that out there.

Edited by 69 ambassador 390 - Aug/02/2011 at 1:45pm
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2011 at 3:54pm
Been using those myself the last few years.
Freecat1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freecat1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2011 at 5:27pm
That's the filter I have run for years. And it's R/W/B . The old school logo is also coolCool

Edited by Freecat1 - Aug/02/2011 at 5:28pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2011 at 8:47am
If you're running Mobil 1 for the extended oil change interval, I recommend you change the filter and top off at what would be your normal oil change interval anyway. To me that's 3-4K on a carbed engine, 5-6K on an EFI engine (most manufacturers recommend 5K, some as high as 7.5K -- my 93 Subaru Legacy stated 7.5K for "normal" driving). This makes sure the filter doesn't clog. Although your seemed fine, sometimes they don't last 10K miles. This also replenishes a few of the additives, though with synthetics the additive package lasts a lot longer. With dino oil the additives that extend the viscosity with heat tend to wear out in the 5-7K range, depending upon conditions (hotter will break down sooner).  I've just started running synthetic in my new 4.0L (rebuilt the Rambler, went back to a hopped up 4.0L instead of 4.6L this time) and plan on doing just that (filter and top off in the 4-5K/8-9 month range, change in the 8-10K range, but no more than 18 months).

Edited by farna - Aug/03/2011 at 8:50am
Frank Swygert
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2011 at 12:44pm
Yeah, I know.  I added amsoils booster around 6000 miles but didn't change the filter.  The engine was goting to get its first real rebuild so I didn't bother with the oil change.  Motor is still spotless except a little black film under the cover that is sludge starting.  It has over 300,000 miles on her and has had only a couple of sets of rings and bearings and the bores are still standard.  Three of the pistons are different brands and five are still original.  Was going to tear it down and go .030 over and do it right but the damn thing runs so good and burns no oil so I just kept putting it off.  Haven't touched the engine inside or out since 2002 power tour and was expecting some damage.  No sign of anything wrong but an abusive and neglectfull owner.  I had to send her to Control Freak with fresh oil cause I'm sure they need to test her a bit.  I usually change at 7500 and do oil and filter at the same time.  3000 change time on dino if I have to but shes' only had that stuff in her a couple of times since 1992.  I'm still convinced that the synthetics are the cheapest oils you can run.  I was very surpised at the STP oil filters quality thouhg, as I had been staying away from the price leader cheapies all these years.  I geuss you don't always get what you pay for.  Sometimes you get more!!!Smile
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2011 at 3:18pm
I'll be considering the STP filters from now on based on your findings -- thanks!
Frank Swygert
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 2:27am
Thanks, Steve....good to know!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 8:53pm
What's a good place to get these filters?
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
amcguru View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 9:28pm

NAMDRA #3646

"I believe the best social program is a job" ~ Ronald Reagan
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 10:46pm
O.K. but reading that is really confusing.  None of the info is current and it appears that the filter I took off my car sat on Autozones shelf for ten years before I bought it.  Or they switched the design again.  I will buy another s-25 when I'm in town tommorow and cut it apart to see the current set up.  The other two filters I have on hand, A mobile one purcased last week and a month old NAPA Gold apear to not match the description in the article also.  I think we may have to assume that the application may dictate the contents of the filter as much as the vintage.  The filters in the article do not fit our engines.  I will sacrifice a STP for the cause but the Mobile 1 will live on.  It does have metal end caps as I can see that much.  I guess you can never tell what you are buying from one day to the next.Unhappy
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic