TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front wheel bearing removal...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front wheel bearing removal...
    Posted: Jul/23/2011 at 11:53am
I think I am hearing a front wheel bearing,
too loud to hear during drive,
but with windows open and coasting about 20 prior to making a right hand turn can hear it,
goes away with braking,
don't hear unless passenger side window down.

Sometimes it does it, sometimes not.
Have not taken a close look, been busy resurrecting another project.

Is there a special tool for AMC wheel bearings,
(71 Javelin with drums)
or is it a plain cotter pin, washer, nut deal?

When I look up front wheel bearings for my car,
a ton of special tools showed up in the search.

Thanks.
1971 Javelin SST 360
"If you are crazy enough to drive a 71 you might as well keep the BW tranny."
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2011 at 12:33pm
should be just a regular nut, washer and cotter pin set up.  lift the suspected wheel off the ground and grab the tire from the top and the bottom and see if it will move in and out.  if it does then your bearing is either shot or loose.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2011 at 12:44pm

Yep - just like every other car of that era. Remove dust cover, remove cotter pin, remove nut and keyed washer smack the drum, outer bearing will slide out, pull drum off.

Does the hub or dust cover feel hot after a drive?

If you raise that corner and spin the wheel by hand, put a hand lightly on the middle of the hub - does it feel rough?

They will move naturally a bit when you try to wiggle it so don't be concerned with a bit of movement. Front wheel bearings should not be snug, there should be just a little play - but not too much.

Ignore much of what you see in searches - it's almost like ebay any more with the spamming. There have ALWAYS been special tools for front wheel bearings be it AMC, Ford, GM, whatever - those are drivers to put in the seals or bearing cups/races, etc. There's probably a special tool shown to remove and reinstall the dust cover even. But almost anything else is bogus caused by key word spamming of web sites.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2011 at 4:14pm
Sometimes a dragging brake can mimic a bad wheel bearing, too.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
ramairthree View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2011 at 8:48am
thank you for the tips.  I guess searches are just nuts now with everyone trying to make some bucks. 

Because I have heard it and not heard it in the same conditions in the same place, that dragging brake cause I will check out also.  After I get the front up and check play, I will be spending some extra time backing up and braking to see if that adjusts better.

Edited by ramairthree - Jul/24/2011 at 12:01pm
1971 Javelin SST 360
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2011 at 9:03am
It should take you just a few minutes to pull it, no special tools you can take a look at the races and the rollers in the bearing, it may just have a few pitted spots from the car sitting a long time before you got it. You can pound out the race and install a fresh bearing and be good to go in just a short while. Good news is the cost of the parts, compared to a more modern car wheelbearing. SH
ramairthree View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramairthree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2011 at 1:09pm
well I'll be

put the passenger front up, virtually no play in the wheel, and spun smooth and quiet as can be

put the driver's front up, virtually no play, but spins like the drum dragging.

why is it half the time you are sure a sound is coming from one side its the other?
1971 Javelin SST 360
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by ramairthree ramairthree wrote:

why is it half the time you are sure a sound is coming from one side its the other?

You were hanging out the wrong window?LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic