TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor Gear - stripped?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capitol76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Gear - stripped?
    Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 3:10pm
Been driving 69 AMX for a couple of months with a 1978 Long block 360 recently installed.  I took the old distributor out of the 390 and put it in.  All has been pretty fine, i.e. it has been fast and starts well and runs smoothly UNTIL I downshifted on the way home from 4th to 3rd at about 45 mph.  The car backfired a bit then died.  After towing the car home, I found I had spark and fuel so I put #1 at tdc and pulled the distributor cap.  The rotor was not anywhere near #1.  I pulled the distributor and the gear is very rough and worn down on several of the teeth (see picture).

Was putting the 390 distributor into the 360 an error or is something else going on?  This is a 42 year old point distributor.  I don't mind having a point distributor.  I'd appreciate any comments.

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 3:16pm
Do some searching here on distributor gears and you'll see how you screwed yourself.
It's been talked about over and over.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 3:23pm
Yea, you probably should have switched the gear from the '78 dizzy over to the '69 dizzy.  Also when you swap them like that be sure to coat the gear with petroleum jelly.  Now, all of that gear material is ground up and has gone through the engine as a oil slurry.  Not good.  I would be tearing the engine completely apart and cleaning everything.  I had one like that and I had to replace all the bearings and get the block honed again. 
What does the '78 distributor gear look like?

Edited by SC397 - Jul/09/2011 at 9:20pm
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 3:42pm
this is what i did to allieviate the problem of stripped gears

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 4:07pm
How did all the engines run millions of accumulated miles without a crutch and not wreck a gear?
RB401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RB401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 4:19pm
I've run mismatched factory gears for years with no problems.  My guess is when you put the '69 distributor in the '78 360, the distributor sat either to low or to high in the hole and thus the gears did not fully engage.
'73 Javelin AMX, 401, T5

T5 Swap Page: http://mysite.verizon.net/amxjavelin/t5swap/t5swap.html
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 4:38pm
Looks at the gap between the washer and the end of the distributor. Even used gears need to find a pattern but you hit the crap lottery with that distributor. The gear gets pushed up and tries to wear into a good pattern and because it was in a slightly different spot it wore through. Very common though.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 8:47pm
no crutch is needed - unless you otherwise do or did something wrong. Any extra oiling line is covering mistakes elsewhere.

And yeah, for the OP - do a search, there's literally many many dozens of posts and several threads on distributor gear issues and the CAUSES of same...........
In fact, there was one within the last couple of months that looked just like that so you can refer to it for ideas, causes and solutions.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 9:32pm
Sometimes it's cam walk that causes the gear breakdown too. A cam retainer with correct gearset during rebuild is not a lot of extra money for peace of mind.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2011 at 9:49pm

There won't be any cam walk with a stock system - flat-tappet hydraulics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic