TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70' Javelin Tach Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 9:30am
that is a fair deal, my cluster was a mess , head to toe $700 with new movement,  he tore it aopart painted it , and lens polished , clock $89 with a new quartz, i have no ralley pack,
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 70amxvegas 70amxvegas wrote:

Do yourself a favor i have been down this path went to a ford tach guy , picked it up weeks later 450 bucks had some odd ball tack movemnet in it and new needles off a pinto our something looked like crap and lasted three months , use the guy who did mine ,here are a photos of after it was done and before  u decide.he  goes thru it all uses amark decals, he has new movement and old amc movement.

Who was this vendor so we know to stay away? I take it that your needle was broken off when it was sent to him?
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 8:37pm
bikerfox
 If you are looking for a Delco-Remy 266 B-R coil try ebay, although the one I bought seemed to get warm I was not able to run the engine very long a blown fuel pump cut that short. If these are oil type coils I have been told if input voltage is correct low oil is the No1 reason they heat up? I might try carefully machining a pair of 1/8" holes in the coil bottom and see if there is oil, if there is I might try refilling the oil and reseal?  I just bought another off of ebay complete with replated mounting bracket and plug wire loom for $25 shipped, see picture.

Tony

70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2011 at 12:02am
this was in LA a few years ago , on Santa Monica Blvd. I am sure he is long gone
AMXNUT70 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXNUT70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2011 at 12:34am
this is good info, book marking this page for when its time to restore the tach on my 70
Extract2th View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by 70amxvegas 70amxvegas wrote:

rodhhrod@comcast.net   these guys can do a minor repair to 100 % complete including speedo tear down and adjustments , I had mine done 100% including new decals over the tack and speedo , temp and fuel adjustments very well priced about 800 but they will charge you for only what u want done and a fast turnaround.

I finally had my cluster completely redone by Rod Hatcher at the contact address listed by 70 amxvegas above and can also vouch for his professionalism and skill with my 70 speedo/tach cluster.  Mine came in at $700 with new gauge decals, speedo completely redone and reset, fuel and temp gauges calibrated to factory specs, and a replacement of the original tach mechanism with a new replacement unit that kept the stock appearance.  He also was readily available for assistance and troubleshooting and provided good detailed instructions and recommendations to ensure a good install.

Edited by Extract2th - Aug/05/2011 at 7:26am
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin
AMX North View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX North Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by fasttony fasttony wrote:

bikerfox
 If you are looking for a Delco-Remy 266 B-R coil try ebay, although the one I bought seemed to get warm I was not able to run the engine very long a blown fuel pump cut that short. If these are oil type coils I have been told if input voltage is correct low oil is the No1 reason they heat up? I might try carefully machining a pair of 1/8" holes in the coil bottom and see if there is oil, if there is I might try refilling the oil and reseal?  I just bought another off of ebay complete with replated mounting bracket and plug wire loom for $25 shipped, see picture.

Tony

What is the voltage going into the coil? It sounds like it is getting full 12 volts.
70 AMX/390/Auto Hialeah yellow/Shadow Mask,           Kevin Jones

70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2011 at 11:00pm
Extract2th,
I am glad it worked out for you. Mine has been running perfect for over a year know. They helped me on another one since,Its nice to know you can call back on help and not get the bums rush once someone has your cash. Smile

Edited by 70amxvegas - Aug/04/2011 at 11:00pm
Extract2th View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2011 at 7:51am
When I reached him for troubleshooting he was even on vacation and still took my calls!  Together we figured out my installation problem and it works great.  If that isn't customer support I don't know what is...
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2011 at 8:21pm
Update
 I have had my Tach reworked by APT Instruments Intl. in MN. after all the great info I received from this thread I decided I didn't want a series wiring/taut wire type Tach there is the potential for a no-run engine failure from that type of wiring and at 40 years + old they are delicate Tachs to say the least. I do know some people swear by that type of Tach my best friend has a 70' Mustang Mach 1 thats what it has, I have about 5 of them in parts and they are all not working. The cost was $280 including return shipping for a 3 wire conversion to a VDO 3 wire type Tach and it came out great they turned it in less than a week, I did already have the Amark gage overlay decal on it. AMX North I didn't see the question until today about the 12 volts to the coil I don't remember seeing email notification? If it is a 12V resistor type (BR-266) coil should there be 12 volts going to it? Note: I will not be running the original 360 or point ignition system instead I will be running another 360 with a 87' - 93' GM speed density Multi-Port Injection setup I custom built and HEI distributor (see below) however I am keeping my complete original 360 freshened up in the event some day the car needs to be put back to original so I do need that to be right. My restoration goal is to build the car the way I want it without any permanent mods not a single extra screw hole if possible.

Thanks again guys for all the info.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic