TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70' Javelin Tach Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 3:42pm
Just remember that the 70 Javelin tach is a series tach, and it runs off the positive side of the coil.  I had one fixed by H & H (www.tachman.com) but I see he no longer does AMC tachs.  When I had one converted from stock to MSD tach drive (also works with GM HEI setups), I sent it to http://www.gaugeguys.com/.  They did a nice job with it.  The only thing is that they had to use a different needle than the stock one, since mine was broken off and was converting.  They look like they can convert or restore, depending on your needs.
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 4:24pm
I would have said that the Tachman would be your best bet as he repairs these things only the correct way. You can cause some permanent issues to the needle and spring part if you swap out with the new electronics. The parts on these tachs are getting obsolete.
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 7:03pm

I have the cluster restored with new decals from AMARK all looks new! 70amxvegas thanks for the lead I will check their pricing for just the Tach repair. One of my good car friends a 70' Mustang Mach-1 owner gave me a lead today that repaired his Tach I am checking that lead also.

My ignition is stock except for the replacement parts store coil that seems to work and stay cool.

I bought a used 266 coil off of ebay recently $32 shipped it works but got somewhat hot 120f?after 10 minutes of running, input voltage was 12.5 running so I might have to think it is low on oil? The hot coil thing is what we had issues with back in the 70's.

I am leaning towards just having the Tach electronics replaced/upgraded, it runs on a fine axle wire and from what I recently learned the needles tend to fall off, very delicate stuff.

More not so good news the original 40+ year old fuel/vacuum pump is blown more gas leaking out of a casting hole in it than going in the carb, I do have a new and used? pump.
More fun repairs!

Tony
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 7:50pm

Do yourself a favor i have been down this path went to a ford tach guy , picked it up weeks later 450 bucks had some odd ball tack movemnet in it and new needles off a pinto our something looked like crap and lasted three months , use the guy who did mine ,here are a photos of after it was done and before  u decide.he  goes thru it all uses amark decals, he has new movement and old amc movement.

Edited by 70amxvegas - Jun/28/2011 at 8:29pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 8:02pm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 8:03pm

Edited by 70amxvegas - Jun/28/2011 at 8:06pm
Extract2th View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by pnypwr pnypwr wrote:

what sort of ignition are you running? some of the aftermarkets wont have the correct wavelength to run a fact tach...thus needing a tach adapter.  you said you carried ign modules my 70 amx has points.

I have the same cluster with the same issue.  It has been added to my 70 Javelin SST and doesn't work with the tach wiring harness wired as indicated earlier in this thread. I recently upgraded to the pertronix ignitor I and flamethrower coil.  I have to believe that someone with the 70 amx or Jav with the factory tach has used this upgrade.  Has it worked right out of the box with the factory tach, or was an adapter necessary?  Just want to know if I get the tach repaired to factory specs if it should work without a problem.

Edited by Extract2th - Jun/28/2011 at 9:04pm
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 12:08am
those tacks also just stop working.
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Extract2th Extract2th wrote:

Originally posted by pnypwr pnypwr wrote:

what sort of ignition are you running? some of the
aftermarkets wont have the correct wavelength to run a fact tach...thus
needing a tach adapter.  you said you carried ign modules my 70 amx has
points.

I have the same cluster with the same issue.  It has been added to my 70 Javelin SST and doesn't work with the tach wiring harness wired as indicated earlier in this thread. I recently upgraded to the pertronix ignitor I and flamethrower coil.  I have to believe that someone with the 70 amx or Jav with the factory tach has used this upgrade.  Has it worked right out of the box with the factory tach, or was an adapter necessary?  Just want to know if I get the tach repaired to factory specs if it should work without a problem.

I have a Pertronix lll with the stock wiring to my tach, and it works fine, but indicates about 400-500 RPM low. I repainted the needle on my tach, and for about six months, the needle would stick to the peg at zero. Had to bump the dash pad with my hand to break it loose. It eventually stopped sticking, and works fine except for the calibration issue.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2011 at 5:05am
http://dandmrestoration.com/
Here's another great source for gauge repairs.
I've posted his info before. 
Did all my original gauges- silk screen faces all gauges, New electronic/digital Tach movement, clock to quartz movement, ralley pack gauges and others calibrated. All lenses polished. I think the total with return shipping and $1000.00 insurance was just under $800.  Super great guy to deal with, fast turn around and for 300 bucks more than most charge for only tach repairs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic