TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Anyone tried a Spartan Locker?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Originally posted by tmancusi tmancusi wrote:

So probably not the best choice for a car that I'd like to be able to drive to work during summers.

Not a problem once you learn the quirks and learn to compensate for them. I drove my Detroit Lockered Jeep CJ on the street as a daily driver for years.

Bob
tufcj
Yep as he said. Got a Lock Right Locker in my 75 304 Gremlin. Son used this car when he first got his Lic. at 18 and never an issue.

Some one asked if it could be done with a $99 tool box. Only if you have the $50 tools needed to do the job Wink LOL j/k
To do my Gremlin and I am remembering back 15 years: Remove the cover, do what is needed to pull out (you do not need to remove) the right axle (think all I did was remove the brake line from the cly and the 4 bolts that holds the baking plate to the axle housing), remove cross shaft bolt then shaft, remove spider gears & replace them with the gears from the kit starting with installing the left side on the axle then it get cloudy but you get the jist of it. I did this on a lift but IIRC could be done on your back in the drive way.

I run a Detroit locker in my drag car and so far love it. If I ever go spool I will use it for my street car if I have to replace the Twin Grip if it has one, 70 Jav 390 4sp?
Dave ----
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by emyray emyray wrote:

How much work is involved on installing one of these lockers for a backyard mechanic with a $99 Craftsman tool set? Can it be done with the axle still in the car? Would it be wise to get the axle lug nuts torqued to 250 foot pound prior to installation?

As long as the cross pin that holds the spiders will clear the ring gear, it can be done in the car.  As gear ratios get lower (higher numerically), the ring gear gets thicker.  Ratios in the 2s and 3s should be OK, the 4s are iffy.  Just follow the directions to the letter, and it can be done by any average mechanic in a few hours.

The track-lock (AMC 1 piece) isn't known for it's strength or longevity.  Most are done after about 20K miles.  Problem is that the clutch pack wears against the carrier, and if it's shot, the carrier is probably out of spec too.

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Jun/10/2011 at 9:57pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2011 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Not a problem once you learn the quirks and learn to compensate for them. I drove my Detroit Lockered Jeep CJ on the street as a daily driver for years.

Bob
tufcj

Way back, the Detroit Locker was an option on Fords. Never heard of or had any complaints myself.
Now society is getting soft.LOL
emyray View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emyray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2011 at 10:19pm
I have a few spare Model 20's that all seem to be one leggers so possibly I will work on reconditioning one of those and installing a locker at that time.  Unfortunately my garage is barely big enough for the Javelin, much less my push mower.  I am hoping when I crack the case on the one currently installed that it is the originally installed twin grip, just burned out.  Probably a big "if" since it acts like a regular axle and I doubt the restorer would have left it behind when he snagged the go pak, 360, and 727.
Remy
1971 Javelin/AMX - show (unrestored)
1972 Javelin/AMX - go (beat to crap)
All my tools are genuine Chrome Vanadium
Ohio
tmancusi View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmancusi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2011 at 1:11pm
Researching lunchbox lockers, I'm beginning to think that the Aussie brand locker may be the way to go. No HP or tire height limitations and a 2 year warranty. $274.95 and free shipping at this site:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=AL-XD-92912

Edited by tmancusi - Jun/11/2011 at 1:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic