TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 jeep j20 6 inch lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 10:18pm
I did a spring over on my kids fsj, was cheap did all my own brackets and cost only time and a drop pitman. was around 6-7 inches and drove as good as it did stock.
74j20 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 10:41pm
what do ya mean ya did all of your own brackets and dont ya have to buy a knew steering knuckle and what did ya do for the rear springs because i dont wanna put blocks under it

Edited by 74j20 - Jun/08/2011 at 10:45pm
Jeep J20 the only way to go
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 11:47pm
Basically front got the axle put under the springs and I welded new spring pads to it, added a drop pitman arm and was good. rear I dont like blocks so I made brackets to lower the leaf springs. Much like this one http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=131
I did my own 28 yrs ago too with my wagoneer, seen here http://theamcforum.com/forum/my-old-wagoneer_topic27175.html
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 10:11am
The different knuckles are to get the steering links above the axle so you aren't bashing them on rocks offroad. The stock setup works but the drag link is put at a steep angle not parallel to the tie rods. That causes bump steer. The drop pitman arm lessens the angle of the drag link. In some cases in stock form, the drag link hits the passenger leaf spring. It's best to move the steering above the axle to protect them and improve handling but it won't keep you from doing the Spring Over.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 11:13am
While true I have no issues when driving it, drives true and straight and hit bumps it does not wander a bit, at least not any more than the detroit makes it do when it locks and unlocks. LOL

Been thru a rock garden with 3' and larger boulders and never hit the front steering(spotter) cant say so much for the rockers though. Slipped off a 4' rock and it hit just below the door, kid was mad lol
74j20 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 1:27pm
do you know the pitch on the front axle
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 1:49pm
Do you mean the pinion angle? (The angle the pinion is pointed upward toward the t-case)

Edited by ramblinfsj - Jun/09/2011 at 1:51pm
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 2:10pm
The front axle should be setup with around 3 degrees of pos caster for best handling, driveshaft angle will be whatever it is, I have on some baby jeeps cut the knuckles off and rewelded them to point the pinion up relieving the ujoint angle. I did not do it on my kids FSJ and has been good so far.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 2:23pm
Don't forget to check the driveshafts at full extension.
It can be a real PIA when one separates from jumping something out in the middle of nowhere.

Seen that happen, no fun at all.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
74j20 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2011 at 6:38pm
good point but i dont plan on jumpin my truck but i will defiantly check that out and do i have to extend t he brake lines
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic