TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 jeep j20 6 inch lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 jeep j20 6 inch lift
    Posted: Jun/06/2011 at 8:44pm
I have a 74 jeep j20 and im wanting to put a 6 inch lift so i can clear 35's i was going to do a 6 inch suspension but then i have to have custom drive shafts made and they are about $400 each so my thought was a 3 inch suspension and a 3 inch body lift what are yalls thoughts

thanks
Jeep J20 the only way to go
jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2011 at 10:33pm
Not seeing why you would need custom driveshafts???...Confused

My brother has a 77 j-10 with a 6" lift and had no problems running the stock shafts. His is a shortbox too so your longer wheelbase will be fine on the rear driveshaft. The front shaft may be questionable since it will have a bit of an angle on it, but the cardan joint that they used should handle it unless hardcore off-roading is in your plans and you intend to droop the suspension a lot.
-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

74j20 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2011 at 10:55pm
i was told the u joints would bind but i really dont know because this is the first truck i have lifted
jeepjerry View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepjerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2011 at 10:59pm
Ahh, i can tell you the rear will be fine. You'll just have to try the front out. You could unhook it from the pinion flange, measure 6-7" straight down and see how it does.

6" is what i'd like to do on mine some day. I may go with the spring over setup but still undecided.

Edited by jeepjerry - Jun/06/2011 at 11:00pm
-72 SST Javelin -under restoration. Alfano Performance 360.

-76 CJ-5,strong 360, 6" lift, 35"s.

-77 J-20, 4bbl 360/t-18, 33"s.

marlinsteve's son

74j20 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2011 at 11:18pm
i looked into the spring over conversion but it is really expensive because on top of all the stuff you have to buy that is originally on the bottom to put on top of the axle you have to buy a $300steering knuckle or thats what i would do
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 10:02am
I did my Wagoneer with a 3" lift and a 3" Body lift. The body lift was actually nice when I had to get under the truck and work on stuff (especially tranny or t-case stuff) because it gives you 3" of more space around everything. That was nice but installing the the body lift was a PITA. Most of the captured body nuts would brake loose and spins as you were trying to remove the body bolts. Trying to get in there and keep the nuts from spinning while trying to remove the rusty, corroded body bolts isn't fun. Then you'll need to be able to lift the body up. A wagon is a challenge the lift off the frame but a J-truck will be easier. The linkage for my transmission shifter had to be lengthened as well, I had to adjust my flag shifter in the floor, and the radiator shroud has to be dropped 3". It's alot of work to put a body lift on. Your's being a '74 J-truck will have less to modify especially if it's a manual tranny. I would just by the 6" lift and be done. The rear shaft will bolt up no problem. Other folks have been able to bolt there front shaft up. It's just one of those things you'll just have to try. Paying to have parts modified on a lifted truck is just part of the game. Good Luck.   
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
ChevelleSSLS6 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChevelleSSLS6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2011 at 10:16pm
Why not run a 3 or 4 inch lift?  Remember you'll get some lift from the tires.  A lot of guys 'overbuild' rigs these days, and it's really amazing what kind of crap my XJ Cherokee can go through with a 3" lift, and 31" BFG all terrains.  My only issue with it is that it has an open diff out back after I found that one of the universal joint 'ears' on the dana 35 yoke broke off- so I traded it to a buddy and bought a 8.25.  Sadly it's a peg leg.
1996 Jeep XJ 4.0 3 1/2" lift, mild mods
1974 AMC Javelin 360 4sp
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
74j20 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 12:11am
i thought about it long and hard because that was my original plan but i want 35's and a 4 inch lift wont fit them and i just cant bring my self to start carvin on my baby just to fit some tires but thank you for your input much appreciated
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 2:36pm
Yeah, don't cut the fenders. As long as you have some help, put a body lift on it. I read a thread on the IFSJA Forum that the trucks that old have a different and simpler body mount design than the later model FSJ's so it will probably be an easy job. You will like the body lift if you ever have to work on anything underneath the truck.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
74j20 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74j20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2011 at 9:00pm
i appreciate all of the input from every body but i think im gonna go with the 6 inch suspension no body lift so that i get the wheel travel and i tried to join the ifsja but i never got the conformation email to complete my registration so i sent an email to them to let them know but i havent heard back yet

Edited by 74j20 - Jun/08/2011 at 9:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic