TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73roadvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electrical problem
    Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 5:55am
have a 73 javelin,304, given to me out of storage (9years) ran but not well.rebuilt carb,ran awesome.over winter put new sparkplug wires,coil,dist. cap,battery. then it sat for 8 months.(other priorities) go to start and nothing, no clicks or buzzezz.jumped starter,turned over fine.went to napa for new soleniod but still nothing .retraced every wire i touched,nothing loose. what in blazes should i look for next????? also new battery&starter wires.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 6:02am
Check the connection on the 2 small wires on top of the solenoid. One is from the key switch.
 One other may be the NSS (neutral  safety switch). See if the solenoid had a single wire on the bottom side that may be loose or corroded.
From the inside, hold the key to "start" with one hand and move the shifter between park and neutral. See if it cranks.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 6:12am
Make sure the solenoid grounds well to the inner fender.
Use a test light and see if you get power to the S-terminal on the solenoid when you turn the key to crank position.
The I terminal feeds full voltage to the ignition, bypassing any resistor. Should be a yellow wire there.
It's the small S terminal you want to watch. (should be a dark green wire to that one) If you hold the brake, lever in N or P, or shift in neutral if stick, and you turn the key and get no power to the S terminal, or the test light doesn't light, try removing the wire from the S terminal and using a jumper from battery positive to that small S terminal, see if that cranks it (make sure car is in park or neutral with brake on, just in case.....)

Do these also use a relay system inline with that wire to the solenoid - for seatbelts, neutral safety, etc.??
I don't believe AMC used the starter solenoid with the back ground connection until the Eagle years. That would be where the N.S. switch connects to ground it. I'm pretty sure earlier, like mid 70's used a self-grounding ford type solenoid on the fender.

poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 6:17am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I'm pretty sure earlier, like mid 70's used a self-grounding ford type solenoid on the fender.

Wasn't sure when they switched over. most of mine started as manuals  converted to auto.
73roadvirus View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73roadvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 6:19am
thanks for reply. did the shifter thing, nothing.sloenoid has two in front,one in bottem rear.all cleaned.i,ll have to retrace the I  & S  wires on the top of solenoid  to see if anything happened.i,ll keep anyone who cares updated,for i know i,ll have more questions.thanks again all who reply. and who doesn,t despise electrical problems??????
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 7:09am
On these cars, with the age, wear, corrosion, etc. well, it can be a challange!
Yeah, keep us posted, good luck.

Do you have a wiring diagram?? (found in the TSM and other sources)
73roadvirus View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73roadvirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 7:23am
tell me about it! rebuilt every brake component possible. the only smart thing the did before storage was drain fuel tank  . there ain't a peice a rubber on it tha will not need replacin'. however it doesn;t leak anything anywhere,smoke,knock or anything else.really purrs  (when it ran)  WHICH IT WILL LIVE AGAIN. NOT making a show car  IT WILL BE DRIVEN!
ramblin390 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 2:26pm
neutral safety switch?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by ramblin390 ramblin390 wrote:

neutral safety switch?
which will be on the tranny itself.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2008 at 10:36pm
Tom - was that a screw-in switch on those, dang, how many have I done and I can't remember!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic