TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to remove rear window (junkyard)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove rear window (junkyard)
    Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 2:55pm
Anyone have any tips on removing a rear window glass from a coupe in the junkyard? No access to electricity, etc. Got all trim off, but have no idea how to pull the glass off the adhesive goo that it mounts in? Nice factory heated glass that I would love to grab. 
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 2:57pm
special glass adhesive knife (cheap) from napa   BE CAREFUL or you'll cut yourself up bad with that thing if you slip
they call me Capt RETIRED!
timoboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 3:01pm
Thanks a bunch! Can't wait for heated glass in my hornet coupe!
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 3:34pm
I use un-stranded "piano" wire, (2) pairs of vise grips, (4) pennies and a helper....

"Piano" wire can be bought at the hardware store, but if you can't find it, an unwound guitar string will work.

Poke the wire from the inside edge of the glass out to the outside of the car. leave a couple of feet of wire inside and a couple of feet of wire outside the car. Put (2) pennies in the jaws of each pair of vise grips and grip the wire between the pennies and lock the vise grips. (The copper tends to grip the wire without kinking/breaking the wire).

Now with your helper, begin a sawing motion, (taking turns, you pull the wire towards the inside, then your helper pulls the wire towards the outside while you both hold pressure to keep the wire tight and both of you are keeping pressure on the wire heading in the same direction around the window). This is also easier on a warm day.

I've pulled dozens of windows this way, and IMHO, is the safest, cheapest way to pull glass without breaking it.

Credit goes to Mike Maher, who showed me this method and pulled out lots of glass with me in this manner.

Edited by 69BBB3904spAMX - Jun/05/2011 at 4:46pm
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 4:31pm
I do it by myself, I poke the wire through top and bottom, in about the center of the window, from the inside, then get outside and pull toward me from the side, with a slow sawing motion.  Then when you pull out from the side, put in fresh wire, pull from the center to the other side,  the wire will stay up close to the glass with this method, and the dash, or any thing inside won't get in your way, Watch the rearview mirror mount on windshields.

I prefer mig wire for this instead of piano wire,  it's weaker, and may break a few times but i've seen stranded piano wire notch the edge of the glass, when the wire got stuck on something, and sawed in one spot, that notch in the edge will develope into a crack later.  Mig wire is a lot less likely to do that.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 5:25pm
Tyrod that will work for the front glass but not the rear as you can not reach both sides and why a helper is needed.
I have used the tool made just for this with no issues and will when I pull the rear glass out of my Javelin for resaeling.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 5:52pm
I've got a hot knife, cold knife, single strand wire, and stranded wire ( piano wire).

If the window is already broke and I just want it out of my way, i'll use the hot knife or piano wire.

If I have to save the window, i'll use the single strand wire, or cold knife. Usually the cold knife.

But if you've never used a cold knife before it'll make you look like a weakling.  You've got to keep the cutting edge perfectly aligned on the edge of the glass, when you do it right you can even cut factory urethane fairly easy,  let that angle get off and it gets real hard to pull.  Then you'll really be muscling it, get up against the edge at the wrong angle, and break it.

For somebody new to this that's why I reccomend wire, single strand, not seraded.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
joes71jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joes71jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 6:30pm
I took the winshield and back window out of my 71 Javelin using tyrods method, wire thru the top and bottom outside. I have done this for many years without breaking any front or back glasses, it keeps from damaging any plastic interior pieces.
Joe
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2011 at 7:00pm
This tool works PERFECTLY on older cars that don't have bonded urethane. I've used it on windshields and back windows, it really ZIPS the glass out. 
However, I wouldn't recommend using it on a windshield that might be installed with urethane adhesive. And I would be very careful using it on any windshields as a windshield will break with little provocation, while rear glasses are generally very forgiving.

You can also buy a wire that's specifically made to cut glasses out, but it's pretty much stranded piano wire just like has been mentioned previously. A couple of Vise-Grip pliers work well as handles...
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2011 at 6:29am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

But if you've never used a cold knife before it'll make you look like a weakling.  You've got to keep the cutting edge perfectly aligned on the edge of the glass, when you do it right you can even cut factory urethane fairly easy,  let that angle get off and it gets real hard to pull.  Then you'll really be muscling it, get up against the edge at the wrong angle, and break it.

For somebody new to this that's why I reccomend wire, single strand, not seraded.
Your not kidding there. I have broke a few glass parts because I allowed the cold knife to angle the wrong way or I didn't have a new sharp blade.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic