TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX BBG 390 4 sp Resto Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:34am
Originally posted by bulletpruf bulletpruf wrote:

Anyone had any luck finding build sheets on these cars?  If so, where should I look?

Scott
I found mine in the driverside seat springs. I thought it was strange to find it there but....
1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 8:16am
Originally posted by ramblerman390 ramblerman390 wrote:

good start its a amx y not looks good Cool

????
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 9:17am
Ok, a few questions -

I see that the 3190806 block was used in '68-'69, and had 7/16" head bolts.  It was replaced by the 3195529 block, which was used '69-'70, with 1/2" head bolts.  Did early '69 AMX's use the 806 block?  If so, roughly when did the swap from 806 to 529 blocks occur?

I see that the heads should be casting 3188558, but these were the 50.6 cc chambers, 2.025 and 1.625 valves, right?  Larger chambers and valves on the 558 heads were the SS AMX only, right?  As a side note, it looks like Crane will be producing new castings of the 558 SS AMX heads beginning in the spring.  Looks like I shouldn't have any problems selling my 291C heads or trading them for some 558's.  Going rate on 558's seems to be $100-$300 for a pair.

Looks like the original carb was a Carter 4664S.  Any ideas on how difficult these are to find?  Going rate of $100-$400 for a core?  Didn't see any for sale on eBay or here.

Also, have been unable to find data on the intake and exhaust manifolds.  Does anyone have the casting numbers for these handy?  Also curious to hear what the going rate is.

Thanks!

Scott   

Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 9:24am

Another question - any idea on going rate for a factory Twin Grip unit for an AMC 20?  For some reason, when I search here, I can't find anything in the for sale section and no luck on eBay, either.

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 11:36am
I'm not familiar off the top of my head with the block part numbers, but the 66-69 Gen I V8s (290/343/390) had the 7/16" head bolts. The 70-up Gen II V8s (304/360/390/401) had the 1/2" head bolts. The changeover was the start of the 1970 model year which would have been in the fall of 69. Your 69 AMX should have the Gen I engine.

AFAIK Crane modified existing 558 heads for the SS/AMX, so the casting number does not differentiate between AMC or Crane. I believe there should be "CRANE" stamped somewhere on the Crane heads. The 291C head is for the Gen II engine, but they can be used on your Gen I engine if you use step dowels and slot the intake for the centre bolt holes. The 291s are the Holy Grail of dogleg heads, so you should have a few bucks in your pocket if you trade them for the 558 rectangle port heads.

AFBs have many interchangeable parts. The carb can be built to factory specs using the correct jets and step rods and venturies. If you want the correct part number stamping, all you really need is the throttle plate assembly with 4664S on it.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
dpc502 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpc502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 3:23pm
Scott, I have most of the parts you need. When you get the part #'s pm me & I'll check the barn.                                                                David
'70 BBB AMX #21736
'69 BBG AMX #14222
'69 BBG 500 Special #13482
'69 BBO AMX #12938
'69 Black Mink AMX #11086

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by dpc502 dpc502 wrote:

Scott, I have most of the parts you need. When you get the part #'s pm me & I'll check the barn.                                                                David

Thanks, David.  I'll send you a pm when I nail it all down.

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 8:12pm
Well, I pulled the seats and carpet out today to get a better look at the floors and guess what I found underneath the bottom cushion on the passenger seat?  YESSIR, I FOUND ME A BUILD SHEET!  That's the good news.  Bad news is that the seats are from a ferd so build sheet is worthless...

Edited by bulletpruf - Jan/13/2012 at 8:55pm
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 8:18pm

Ok, the carb on it now is a 600 Holley 6619 - - it's a 4160 series that's more of an emissions carb, run lean, electric choke.  Interesting choice for a 4 sp 390 AMX, but matches up with the lousy SP2-P intake.

Scott
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 8:57pm
Floors don't look great, but could be worse.

Scott

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic